|Founded||Detroit, Michigan (1994)|
|Headquarters||Southfield, Michigan, U.S.|
|Number of locations||95+|
|Key people||Maher Bashi, COO|
The first Happy's Pizza restaurant was opened by Happy Asker in 1994 on the east side of Detroit. From 2006 to early 2008 the chain doubled in size and reached 27 locations. In 2009, Rucka Rucka Ali who would later become known for his Rap parody YouTube videos, was the voice of Happy's Pizza's mascot in a TV commercial.
Now the chain has more than 95 locations in Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Nevada, California and Ohio. The pizzerias are known for their granite counter tops, Venetian plaster on their walls and the neon signs in and outside of the building.
Service of otherwise unserved areas
The company makes a point of opening stores and offering delivery services in areas where other pizza places will not. Happy's Pizza started with one restaurant in Detroit, and grew to a large pizza restaurant chain.
Indictment and Fraud Charges
Happy Asker and five other shareholders were indicted on counts of fraud and tax evasion. The U.S. Attorney's Office alleges Asker and the others came up with a scheme to under-report taxable income and payroll taxes from $2.1 million in wages from more than 50 Happy's Pizza locations in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and elsewhere. They are charged with conspiracy to defraud the U.S. government, filing false income tax returns, and corrupt endeavor to obstruct IRS laws. If convicted, the defendants charged with conspiracy face up to five years in prison and a $25,000 fine. Those charged with filing false tax returns and obstruction could be sentenced to three years in prison and a $250,000 fine on each count.
- Lynch-Morin, Kathryn (January 21, 2010). "Happy's Pizza plans to open restaurant on Saginaw's West Side". The Saginaw News. Retrieved 26 February 2010.
- Donaldson, Stan (February 4, 2010). "Happy's Pizza aims to keep customers and job seekers in good spirits". Cleveland.com (Cleveland Live, Inc). Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- "Pizzerias stake claims in Flint area | MLive.com". Blog.mlive.com. 2008-02-18. Retrieved 2010-06-01.
- "Happy's Pizza continues expansion drive | Operations". Pizza Marketplace. 2008-02-19. Archived from the original on February 8, 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-01.
- "Happy's Pizza | Ribs - Chicken - Seafood - And More!". Happyspizza.com. Retrieved 2010-06-01.
- http://www.theoaklandpress.com/general-news/20130716/reports-happys-pizza-founder-others-indicted-for-fraud-tax-evasion. Missing or empty