Happy New Year, Charlie Brown!
|Some or all of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (November 2013)|
|Happy New Year, Charlie Brown!|
|Created by||Charles M. Schulz|
|Written by||Charles M. Schulz|
|Directed by||Bill Melendez
|Voices of||Chad Allen
Elizabeth Lyn Fraser
|Country of origin||USA|
|Executive producer(s)||Lee Mendelson
Charles M. Schulz
|Camera setup||Nick Vasu|
|Running time||28 minutes|
|Original airing||January 1, 1986|
|Preceded by||You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown|
|Followed by||Snoopy!!! The Musical|
Charlie Brown has a problem: He has to write a book report on War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy over winter vacation. There is one major distraction on his mind and that is the big new year's party all of his friends are attending. He tries inviting the object of his desires, The little red haired girl (Again, as in It's Your First Kiss, Charlie Brown, and like that special, appears in animated form), but gets his hand caught in the mail slot. When the night of the party arrives he gets beaten by Peppermint Patty at Musical Chairs, causing him to leave the party and try to finish "War and Peace" while everyone else welcomes in the new year. To make matters worse, Linus ends up dancing with the Little Red-Haired Girl at midnight, much to Charlie's shock and dismay. In the end of the special, he finishes his book report, but gets a D minus, the lowest grade ever without failing. Even worse, the teacher assigns another book report...on Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky!
It was re-released as part of the box set Snoopy's Holiday Collection on October 1, 2013.
After airing on the CBS network in 1986 for two years, the program had its network premiere on the ABC network on December 30, 2008, paired with a repeat of Rudolph's Shiny New Year. To save room for Rudolph's Shiny New Year, the program cuts off the following:
- Some parts where Charlie Brown's voice is heard while reading "War and Peace".
- A trip to a store where "War and Peace" products are "sold".
- The final minutes.
From 2010 ongoing, it was paired with She's a Good Skate, Charlie Brown.
- Chad Allen: Charlie Brown
- Jeremy Miller: Linus van Pelt
- Melissa Guzzi: Lucy van Pelt
- Kristie Baker: Peppermint Patty
- Elizabeth Lyn Fraser: Sally Brown
- Aron Mandelbaum: Schroeder
- Jason Mendelson: Marcie
- Bill Melendez: Snoopy and Woodstock
- Desirée Goyette: Singer ("Slow Slow Quick Quick")
- Executive Producer – Lee Mendelson
- Produced by – Bill Melendez
- Directed by – Bill Melendez and Sam Jaimes
- Written by – Charles M. Schulz and Warren Foster
- Music by – Desirée Goyette and Ed Bogas
- "Warner announces a new 6th October release for the Charlie Brown feature". DVDActive. Retrieved 2012-03-19.