Happy New Year (2014 film)
|Happy New Year|
First look poster
|Directed by||Farah Khan|
|Produced by||Gauri Khan|
|Written by||Farah Khan|
|Narrated by||Vivaan Shah|
|Starring||Shah Rukh Khan
|Music by||Vishal Shekhar|
|Editing by||Anand Subaya|
|Studio||Red Chillies Entertainment|
Happy New Year is an upcoming 2014 Bollywood action comedy-drama film directed by Farah Khan and produced by Gauri Khan under the banner of Red Chillies Entertainment. The film has an ensemble cast which includes Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone in the leads with supporting roles by Abhishek Bachchan, Boman Irani, Sonu Sood and Vivaan Shah.
This will be the third collaboration of Farah Khan and Shah Rukh Khan; they previously worked on Main Hoon Na (2004) and Om Shanti Om (2007). The tagline of the film indicates that it is a musical heist.
Plans for the film began way back in 2005 but the project was shelved in lieu of Farah Khan's Om Shanti Om (2007) which also featured Shahrukh Khan and Deepika Padukone. After her 2010 film Tees Maar Khan, Farah began to consider the possibilities of the film and screenwriting was completed by October 2012. The filmmaker stated that she wanted an established actress in the lead role opposite Khan. Names such as Sonakshi Sinha, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Parineeti Chopra and Katrina Kaif were rumoured to play the role, however Deepika Padukone was finalized, making it her third film with Shah Rukh Khan after Om Shanti Om and Chennai Express (2013). As for the lead role, Khan was the director's first choice for the film. The actor was reported to be playing the role of a con artist in the film which has Deepika in the role of a Marathi dancer. At a point, John Abraham was to play one of the supporting roles but Sonu Sood replaced him. Boman Irani was confirmed by the director during an interview. In August 2013, Jackie Shroff was finalised to play the film's antagonist. The director's brother Sajid Khan will be making a guest appearance while actress Malaika Arora Khan was also signed to appear in a cameo role. Vivaan Shah will reportedly play the role of a computer hacker and also narrates the film in the first half. Actor-director Prabhu Deva has performed a dance in a cameo appearance for the film.
The first look of the film was launched on 2 January 2014. As part of the promotions, an official Twitter handle was started and several hashtags on the topic trended on social networking sites. The campaign was one of its kind where a digitally signed personal poster was tweeted to followers.
Making the official announcement of her film going on floors from 1 September, Farah Khan tweeted, "N the Countdown begins! Exactly 1 month before shoot starts for Happy New Year ! The most hectic, exhilirating, stressfully happy time!". The first schedule of filming started in Dubai. Arabian Business reported that a major portion of the film will be shot in the prestigious Atlantis, The Palm. On 23 January 2014, Khan was injured while shooting for the film at JW Marriott Hotel, Mumbai. Though reported as minor at first, he suffered a fractured shoulder and a torn left knee patella, being advised rest for a while. Mehboob Studios was used as one of the major locations while certain portions were also filmed near the Wilson College.
The music of Happy New Year will be composed by the duo of Vishal-Shekhar while the lyrics are penned by Irshad Kamil. Popular singer Arijit Singh will do a special track for the film. The film has a song named "Indiawaale" as revealed by the makers. Reportedly, Arijit Singh and Shreya Ghoshal will perform a romantic ballad in the film.
- "What is Vivaan Shah's role in 'Happy New Year'". Times of India.
- "Katrina in Happy New Year?".
- "Sonu Sood in Happy New Year film". Filmfare. August 16, 2013. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- Priya Gupta (August 12, 2013). "Jackie Shroff is the villain in 'Happy New Year'". Times of India. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "Farah Khan signs Malaika Arora for SRK's Happy New Year". Hindustan Times.
- "SRK mesmerized by Prabhudeva's Happy New Year Dance". Koimoi. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "First poster of Shah Rukh Khan starrer 'Happy New Year' released". Daily News & Analysis. 2 January 2014.
- "Happy New Year goes on floor next month; confirms Farah Khan". Koimoi. August 1, 2013. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "Shah Rukh Khan starts filming for 'Happy New Year' in Dubai". Deccan Chronicle.
- Andy Sambridge (14 September 2013). "Happy New Year team begins filming at Atlantis, The Palm www.atlantisthepalm.com". Arabian Business. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "Shah Rukh Khan's first outing after his injury". Hindustan Times.
- "Why Is SRK’s ‘Happy New Year’ Kept Hush-Hush?". Koimoi. 28 February 2014.
- "Irshad Kamil writes for Happy New Year". RadioandMusic.com. 4 March 2014.
- "Singers today have more space and work, says Shreya Ghoshal". Oneindia.in. Retrieved 8 September 2013.