Happy Valley (film)
|Directed by||Amir Bar-Lev|
|Produced by||John Battsek
|Written by||Amir Bar-Lev|
|Music by||H. Scott Salinas|
|Edited by||Brian Funck
The film narrates the event at Pennsylvania State University, when in November 2011 the former long-time defensive coordinator of school's football team, Jerry Sandusky, was charged with 40 counts of child sex abuse, setting off a fire-storm of accusations about who failed to protect the children.
Happy Valley received positive reviews from critics. Justin Chang of Variety said in his review that "Amir Bar-Lev offers a typically gripping and thoughtful take on the Penn State scandal." John DeFore, in his review for The Hollywood Reporter, praised the film, saying that "Amir Bar-Lev's Happy Valley is more concerned with the phenomenon of team spirit than any single question of fact or moral judgment." Eric Kohn Vaughan of Indiewire graded the film with a B+ and said, "Happy Valley turns the tables on the national perception of the scandal. Looking directly into the camera after the team has been banned by the league, one supporter shouts, 'Stop putting all the bad stuff on TV!' The words resonate for anyone who has followed the headlines from the past several years. Watching Happy Valley, it's hard not to feel complicit in the university's weakened state."
|2014||Sarasota Film Festival||Best Documentary Feature - Jury Prize||Amir Bar-Lev||Won|
- "Sundance 2014: What happened at Penn State was not anomalous at all, says 'Happy Valley' director". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "Sundance: Jerry Sandusky Son Breaks Silence at 'Happy Valley' Premiere". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "Sundance 2014: Documentary Premieres". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "‘Happy Valley’ Documentary to Premiere at Sundance Film Festival". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "'Ida,' 'Happy Valley' and 'Thou Wast Mild and Lovely' Top Sarasota Film Festival Winnersl". Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "Sundance Film Review: ‘Happy Valley’". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "Happy Valley: Sundance Review". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "Sundance Review: Jerry Sandusky Went to Jail. Then What? Penn State's Future Is Focus of Amir Bar-Lev's 'Happy Valley'". Retrieved May 7, 2014.