|Harajuku station building|
(See other stations in Tokyo)
|Neighborhood etc.||1 Jingumae|
|Statistics||71,472 passengers/day (FY2012)|
Harajuku Station (原宿駅 harajuku-eki?) is a railway station in Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan, operated by East Japan Railway Company (JR East). The station takes its name from the area on its eastern side, Harajuku.
This station is served by the circular Yamanote Line. It is also adjacent to Meiji-Jingumae Station on the Tokyo Metro Chiyoda Line, and is marked as an interchange on most route maps, although there is no physical connection between the two stations.
The station consists of a single island platform serving two tracks. An additional temporary platform is located on the west side of the station usable by trains traveling towards Shinjuku which is used when major events occur in the area, especially around New Year when many people visit Meiji Shrine.
The main entrance is at the southern end of the station. A smaller entrance leading to the centre of the platform is convenient for Takeshita Street, a famous area in Harajuku. Takeshita Street is a popular shopping street and the Takeshita Street entrance to Harajuku Station is often very crowded. This congestion creates a bottleneck on weekends when scores of tourists and locals arrive and leave the shopping areas in and around Takeshita Street.
To the north of the station there is a separate platform serving a loop on the east side of the freight line for use by the Imperial train.
|1||■Yamanote Line||for Shibuya and Shinagawa|
|2||■Yamanote Line||for Shinjuku and Ikebukuro|
The station opened on October 30, 1906.
In fiscal 2012, the station was used by an average of 71,472 passengers daily (boarding passengers only). The passenger figures for previous years are as shown below.
|Fiscal year||Daily average|
- "グループ経営構想Ⅴ" [Group Business Vision V] (PDF) (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. 30 October 2012. p. 10. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- 日本国有鉄道停車場一覧 [JNR Station Directory]. Japan: Japanese National Railways. 1985. p. 28. ISBN 4-533-00503-9.
- "各駅の乗車人員 (2012年度)" [Station passenger figures (Fiscal 2012)] (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. Retrieved 23 January 2014.
- "各駅の乗車人員 (2000年度)" [Station passenger figures (Fiscal 2000)] (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. Retrieved 23 January 2014.
- "各駅の乗車人員 (2005年度)" [Station passenger figures (Fiscal 2005)] (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. Retrieved 23 January 2014.
- "各駅の乗車人員 (2010年度)" [Station passenger figures (Fiscal 2010)] (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. Retrieved 23 January 2014.
- "各駅の乗車人員 (2011年度)" [Station passenger figures (Fiscal 2011)] (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. Retrieved 23 January 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Harajuku Station.|
- Harajuku Station information (JR East) (Japanese)