Harald von Hirschfeld
|Kurt-Harald von Hirschfeld|
Von Hirschfeld as a Captain
|Born||11 July 1912
|Died||18 January 1945
|Years of service||1935 – 1945|
|Commands held||78. Volksgrenadier-Division|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Harald von Hirschfeld (10 July 1912 – 18 January 1945) was a German general who commanded the 78.Volksgrenadier-Division during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. In September 1943, as a Colonel in the 1st Mountain Division, he played a major role in the defeat and subsequent massacre of the Italian Acqui Division in Cephallonia.
Von Hirschfeld was married to Sylvinia von Dönhoff, who later married the former fighter pilot Adolf Galland. He was severely injured in an aerial attack in defense of the Dukla Pass and died on his way to the field hospital.
Awards and decorations
- Anschluss Medal (8 November 1938)
- Sudetenland Medal
- Iron Cross (1939)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- Black (23 July 1941)
- Silver (23 September 1941)
- Gold (2 October 1941)
- Infantry Assault Badge in Silver (25 July 1941)
- Order of the Crown (Romania) (1 November 1941)
- Eastern Front Medal (1 August 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-2299-6.
Generalmajor Alois Weber
|Commander of 78. Volksgrenadier-Division
1 December 1944 – 18 January 1945
Generalmajor Wilhelm Nagel
|This biographical article related to the military of Germany is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|