Harbin Engineering University
|Harbin Engineering University|
|Motto in English||
(Great Engineer Changes the World, Great Lore Changes the Knowledge)(It is engineering that changes the world)
|Type||Public, Project 211|
|Location||Harbin, Heilongjiang, People's Republic of China|
|Campus||Urban, 311.60 acres (126.1 ha)|
|Former names||Harbin PLA Military Engineering Institute, Harbin Shipbuilding Engineering Institute|
|Website||中文 English Русский|
Harbin Engineering University (also referred to as HEU) (simplified Chinese: 哈尔滨工程大学; traditional Chinese: 哈爾濱工程大學; pinyin: Hāěrbīn Gōngchéng Dàxué) was founded in 1953, in Harbin, China. It used to host the PLA Military Engineering Institute, China's foremost institute in that field. Following the deterioration of China's relations with the USSR after the Sino-Soviet border conflict, it divided into six universities for security reasons. HEU is now top engineering university in China. Subordinate to the Commission of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense, HEU is a national key university of glorious history and fine traditions, encompassing engineering science and management as well as support programs on humanities and social sciences. It is among the first batch of Project 211 universities that are entitled to enjoy first priority from the state in construction and development and also one of the universities that have Graduate School. Moreover, HEU is an important base for talent cultivation and scientific research in the fields of ship industry, ocean exploration and nuclear application.
HEU traces its origin to the Military Engineering Academy established in Harbin on September 1, 1953. In 1970 Harbin Shipbuilding Engineering Institute (HSEI; simplified Chinese: 哈尔滨船舶工程学院; traditional Chinese: 哈爾濱船舶工程學院; pinyin: Hāěrbīn Chuánbó Gōngchéng Xuéyuàn) was formed. With approval from the State Education Commission, HSEI changed its name to Harbin Engineering University in 1994, and ocean and marine projects became its main field of research.
Harbin Engineering University is defining its distinctive position in the nation's development strategy by specializing in shipping industry, ocean exploration and nuclear application. By also leading a series of reforms in teaching, scientific research and information management systems, Harbin Engineering University is expanding her role as China's premier comprehensive international university now and into the 21st century.
Since 1999, HEU has been honored national, provincial, ministerial commendation and awards 520 items in total, 215 national ones, 305 provincial and ministerial ones, in the aspects of management of party and administrative affairs, teaching and education, scientific research, etc..
In recent years, HEU has made substantial progress in the aspects of CPC construction, moral and political work, teaching reform, scientific research, cultivation of talents and basic construction, etc., and has enjoyed numerous commendation and awards from the superior. These mention-worthy fruits, the result of collaborative efforts by all the students and faculty members under the leadership of the university party committee, are not only a demonstration of firm approval from the superior departments as well as all walks of life in society but also a spur for HEU to further accelerate reform and development, constantly promote leap-forward development, and struggle to establish a distinctive high-level research university.
Harbin Engineering University (HEU) sits at the scenic Songhua River in the Ice City of Harbin in Northeast China. The floor area of HEU is 1.26 million square meters with a building area of 986 thousand square meters. The architecture of HEU embodies an imposingly exquisite combination of Chinese and Western elements, featuring flying eaves and jade tiles.
HEU enrolls undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral students by maintaining two semesters: spring and autumn. Almost all of the undergraduate courses are taught in Chinese language. Most of the Master degrees are offered in English Medium. Students who want to get admit in undergraduate program must be graduates of senior High school or above. A bachelor degree in related courses is required for postgraduate programs and a master degree in related courses is required for doctoral programs.
HEU puts emphasis on the development of international cooperation and academic exchange. Since 2000, there were many students in HEU from USA, UK, Canada, Korea, Russia, Japan, Pakistan, Thailand, Nepal and India in kinds of level had graduated. Now more than 800 students are studying in undergraduate level in HEU.
The university comprises 15 colleges, 2 service departments and 1 training center. It has a student body of over 25,000, and a staff of 3,188, including 400 professors, 491 associate professors, 9 academicians of the China Academy of Engineering, 2 members of the Disciplinary Appraisal Group in the Academic Degree Committee of the State Council, and more than 60 doctoral advisers.
It has 13 research stations for postdoctoral fellows, 12 courses conferring doctor's degrees, 31 courses conferring master's degrees, 4 engineering fields conferring the master of engineering degree, conferring MBA degree. HEU has the first-class courses conferring doctoral degrees, 1 national key discipline and 11 ministerial key disciplines.
A non degree Chinese Language Program is offered by HEU through four different full terms. The university offers bachelor degrees in forty-five different sections of engineering, science, literature, management and economics.  HEU was one of the first universities authorized by the state to award doctoral and master's degrees.
Library and laboratory
Harbin Engineering University Library's collection is emphasized on Science and Engineering and also covers broad subjects of humanities, social science and management. The Library was founded in 1953. In 1990 the library had shifted in the present building. It has 11174 square meters. At a time, 1200 readers can seat together for reading. HEU has about 3.1 million literature collections, including 1.6 million printed books, 0.66 million e-books, more than 2300 kinds of periodicals. It has 40 databases which includes 17 foreign full-text databases, 13 Chinese full-text databases and 0.42 million kinds of e-periodicals. Foreign databases include IEL, ACM, EBSCO, EI, Elsevier and so on. Chinese databases include CNKI, VIP information, Wanfang data and so on. E-book databases include Kingbook, Apabi eBook, Superstar eBook, etc.. In addition, library collected audio-visual materials and miniature materials. Harbin Engineering University Library adopted Integrated Library Automation System to realize automation of library business and official administration and networking of stored literature information retrieval.
There are various special and basic laboratories, 126 in total, including 2 national key laboratories, 1 national electric electronic teaching base, 1 national electric electronic experimental teaching exemplar, 11 provincial or ministerial key laboratories, 85 research laboratories.
The university has always laid stress on scientific research, achieving nearly 1,800 outstanding research results, among which 39 items have won national awards, and 446 items have won ministerial or provincial level awards. In the field of scientific research, the faculty mainly emphasize upon investigations, design and development of advanced and high-performance vehicles and marine structures. As the results of the faculty's diligent efforts, the researches have made great progress in the areas of hydrodynamics and structural mechanics of ships, such as resistance, propulsion, maneuverability, sea-keeping, wave loading, strength and fatigue of naval and offshore engineering structures. Numerous research activities have been profoundly acknowledged at national level, and some of the research work has also gained international recognition, as it comes up to the standards of advance research level. The College enjoys a fame in performing researches in hydrodynamics of advanced high performance vessels, ship stabilization technique, high efficiency propulsion and ocean energy utilization, energy saving technology, under-water robotics technology, submersible design technology, ship wave loading, and structural hydro-elasticity theory and experiments.
There are over 40 research institutes such as:
- Chuanda Engineering Technology Designing Institute
- Great Wall Underwater Hi-Tech Co. Harbin R&D Center
- Beisa Marine Equipment and Installation Institute
- Navigation Technology and Equipment Institute
- Power Equipment Engineering Technology Institute of HEU (PEETI)
- Underwater Engineering Technology Research Center
- Nuclear Power Emulation Research Center
- HEU Shipping Anti-rolling and Control Technique Institute
- HEU Energy Engineering Technology Institute
- Intelligence Control Institute
- Marine Intelligent Machinery Institute
- Ruibai Information Network Institute
- Chemistry and New Material Institute
- Thermal Energy Engineering Technology Institute
- Nuclear Power Installations Institute
- Purification Science Institute
- New Chemical Technique Institute
- Ship and Vessel Material Technique Institute
- Naval Vessel and Artillery Technology Institute
- Guided Missile Engineering Institute
- Turbine Engineering Applied Technology Institute
- Underwater Acoustic Technique Institute
- Purification and Separation Technology Institute
- Center of High Dependability Computing Technology
- Information Security Research Center
The university has established cooperative relationships with more than 20 foreign universities or research institutions, including scholars and academic exchanges, and cooperative research development.
- Brunel University
- Far Eastern State Technical University
- Hiroshima University
- Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology
- Kitami Institute of Technology
- Kochi University of Technology
- Kumoh National Institute of Technology
- Moscow Power Engineering Institute
- National University of Sciences and Technology, Pakistan
- North Dakota State University
- Northwestern Polytechnic University
- Pukyong National University
- RMIT University
- Royal Institute of Technology
- Royal Institution of Naval Architects
- University of Alberta
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Electro-Communications
- University of Hertfordshire
- University of Melbourne
- University of Southampton
- University of Strathclyde
- University of Sydney
- University of Technology, Sydney
- Harbin Engineering University (HEU)
- About Harbin Engineering University
- Brief Introduction
- Engineering in China
- History of Harbin Engineering University
- The HEU Campus
- Colleges, Departments and Training Center of Harbin Engineering University
- Chinese Languafe Program of Harbin Engineering University
- Undergraduate courses of Harbin Engineering University
- Programs Offered in HEU
- Harbin Engineering University Library
- Research Centers and Institutes
- International Partners
- Official website (Chinese)
- Official website (English)
- Official website (Russian)
- International Students' Website
- Library Website of Harbin Enginering University