|Birth name||Robbert van de Corput|
|Also known as||DJ Hardwell|
January 7, 1988 |
|Genres||Progressive house, EDM, electro house, big room house|
|Occupation(s)||DJ, record producer, remixer|
|Instruments||Piano, keyboards, mixer, synthesizer, Logic Pro|
Robbert van de Corput (born 7 January 1988 in Breda, Netherlands), better known by his stage name Hardwell, is a Dutch big room house and electro house DJ and music producer. He was voted the world's #1 DJ on DJ Magazine's annual Top 100 DJs poll in 2013 and then again in 2014. Hardwell is widely known for his live sets at major music festivals such as Tomorrowland and Ultra. The video streams of his performances on his personal YouTube channel have collectively garnered more than 100 million views, and helped him gain over 2 million subscribers.
Hardwell first gained recognition in 2009 for his bootleg of "Show Me Love vs. Be". He founded record label Revealed Recordings in 2010 and his own radio show and podcast, Hardwell On Air in 2011. He has since released five compilation albums through his label, as well as his own documentary film. His debut album was released on January 23, 2015.
Robbert van de Corput was born on 7 January 1988 in Breda, Netherlands, where he grew up as well. He started learning classical piano when he was four years old and DJing when he was 12. Corput was first inspired to become a DJ at the age of 11 after watching a documentary about DJs on the Dutch MTV. At the age of 13, he was signed to his first record label and by the age of 14, he began DJing at reputable clubs across the Netherlands. However, his parents had to chaperone as he wasn't allowed into the clubs at such a young age. As a kid, he enrolled at a music oriented school and the Rock Academy. Three months into the Rock Academy, he was advised to quit and to pursue a career in music immediately. He often cited fellow Breda native, Tiësto, as his biggest inspiration and mentor.
Hardwell's remixing debut came in 2003 when his version of The Underdog Project's "Summer Jam 2003" hit the clubs, then 2007 found him remixing the stadium techno act Scooter ("Lass Uns Tanzen") and collaborating with fellow DJ Greatski on the track "Never Knew Love" but it wasn't until two years later when Hardwell first gained recognition in 2009 for his bootleg of "Show Me Love vs. Be". The song is a mashup of Robin S.'s "Show Me Love" and the instrumental track "Be" by Steve Angello & Laidback Luke.
In 2010, Hardwell formed his own record label, Revealed Recordings. Soon after the launch, Hardwell started the release of Hardwell presents Revealed, a compilation album released annually which featured some of the label's biggest tracks of that year.
In March 2011, Hardwell launched his own radio show and podcast, Hardwell On Air. It is being broadcast on various international radio stations. Additionally, the podcast has a spot on iTunes' Top 10 Podcasts in several countries. His collaboration single with Tiësto, "Zero 76," was one of the biggest club tracks of that year and his first single to chart at #1 on Beatport and on the American iTunes dance chart. In addition to multiple other hits released by Hardwell in 2011, including "Encoded" and "Cobra," Hardwell entered DJ Magazine's Top 100 DJs annual poll at #24.
In 2012, Hardwell's biggest track was the solo-original known as "Spaceman," which has seen more sets, bootlegs, and remixes than any of his previous releases. In July of that year, he went on to perform at the main stage of Tomorrowland. As of March 2014, the performance holds over 21 million views on YouTube and was the most watched live DJ set on the site for over a year. It was dubbed by many as a contender for the best set of the year. Alongside other artists such as Alesso, Nicky Romero and R3hab, Hardwell was named an EDM artist to watch in 2012 by MTV. He then placed at #6 on DJ Magazine's Top 100 DJs annual poll for 2012.
Hardwell kicked off 2013 with a nationwide "Hardwell presents Revealed: Canadian Bus Tour," joined by fellow DJs Dyro and Dannic. This was then followed with a nationwide "Go Hardwell Or Go Home" tour that took place in venues across the United States. In March 2013, having featured for the first time on the main stage of Ultra Music Festival only one year prior in 2012, he returned to the Miami event and with over 22 million views, it is the most watched live DJ set on YouTube as of February 2014, surpassing Hardwell's 2012 Tomorrowland set. Hardwell’s set also broke all records for the most watched Ultra live broadcast with over 80,000 people watching his set online through the live stream.
In April 2013, Hardwell launched his "I Am Hardwell" world tour. The first phase of the tour saw sold-out shows in Jakarta, Singapore, Bangalore, Mumbai, Lisbon, and London with further venues coming up. Following on from his 2012 Tomorrowland performance, he returned to the main stage of the music festival in 2013. This time the live set gained a million views on YouTube in several days and has been viewed over 19 million as of April 2014.
During Amsterdam dance event (ADE) in October 2013, Hardwell held the world premiere of his I Am Hardwell documentary at the Tuschinski cinema in Amsterdam. The documentary, filmed by Robin Piree, provides an inside-look at Hardwell’s rise and career over the past few years. The premiere was attended by several other famous DJs, including Armin van Buuren and Tiësto. Shortly after, Hardwell ranked at #1 on DJ Magazine's annual Top 100 DJs poll, making him the youngest DJ ever to top the list at 25 years of age. In an interview with DJ magazine, Hardwell stated that he is working on his debut studio album, which is expected to be released sometime in 2014. However, he later stated that the release date has been postponed to early 2015.
In October 2014, he released the music video of the album's lead single "Young Again," which features vocals from Chris Jones. A day prior to that, he unveiled the cover art for his debut album which is entitled United We Are. On October 18, DJ Magazine announced that Hardwell has topped their annual top 100 DJs poll at #1 for the second year in a row. He was the only DJ on the list to have not move from their previous spot. On November 3, Hardwell announced that he will release another single prior to the album release date, his collaboration with W&W featuring vocals from Fatman Scoop, "Don't Stop the Madness." On November 15, Hardwell concluded the North American leg of his "I AM Hardwell" tour at Madison Square Garden, following the way of many other big artists.
DJ Magazine's Top 100 DJs Rankings
- 2011: #24 (New Entry)
- 2012: #6 (Up 18)
- 2013: #1 (Up 5)
- 2014: #1 (No Change)
|United We Are||
|Hardwell Presents Revealed, Vol. 1||
|Hardwell Presents Revealed, Vol. 2||
|Hardwell Presents Revealed, Vol. 3||
|Hardwell Presents Revealed, Vol. 4||
|Hardwell Presents Revealed, Vol. 5||
As lead artist
|Year||Song||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2007||"Never Knew Love"
|"Call Me a Spaceman"
(featuring Mitch Crown)
|"How We Do"
(featuring Amba Shepherd)
|2013||"Never Say Goodbye"
(with Dyro featuring Bright Lights)
(featuring Matthew Koma)
|2014||"Everybody Is In The Place"||—||—||—||90||—||—||78||59|
(with Joey Dale featuring Luciana)
|—||—||—||—||166||—||—||—||United We Are|
(featuring Chris Jones)
|"Don't Stop The Madness"
(with W&W featuring Fatman Scoop)
- The Underdog Project vs. Sunclub – Summer Jam 2003 (DJ Hardwell Bubbling Mix)
- The Underdog Project – Saturday Night (DJ Hardwell Bubbling Mix)
- Sandwich – On The Beach (Hardwell & Greatski Club Dub)
- Public Flavor – Let The Beat Hit 'M'(DJ Hardwell Remix)
- Luke Howard – Hi Life (DJ Hardwell & Greatski Eclectic Beatz Remix)
- Public Flavor – C U In My Dreams (Hardwell & Greatski's Dub Mix)
- Sidney Samson and Skitzofrenix - You Don't Love Me (No, No, No) (Hardwell & R3hab Remix)
- Gregor Salto and Chuckie - Toys Are Nuts (Hardwell & R3hab Remix)
- Robbie Taylor and Marc Macrowland - Black Bamboo (Hardwell Remix)
- Carlos Silva featuring Nelson Freitas and Q-Plus - "Cre Sabe 2008" (Hardwell Sunset Mix)
- DJ Rose - Summerlove (Hardwell & Greatski Club Mix)
- Hardwell pres. R3hab - Mrkrstft (Hardwell Remix)
- Laidback Luke - Break Down The House (Hardwell & R3hab Remix)
- Gregor Salto - Bouncing Harbor (Hardwell & R3hab Remix)
- Richard Dinsdale - Sniffin (Hardwell & Greatski Sugar Free Remix)
- Quintino featuring Mitch Crown - You Can't Deny (Hardwell Remix)
- Armin van Buuren featuring VanVelzen - Broken Tonight (Hardwell Dutch Club Remix)
- Fedde Le Grande - Let Me Be Real (Hardwell Remix)
- George F - Congo Man (Bjorn Wolf & Hardwell Remix)
- Steve Angello and Laidback Luke featuring Robin S. - Show Me Love (Hardwell Bootleg)
- Funkerman featuring I-Fan - Remember (Hardwell Remix)
- Sander van Doorn and Marco V - What Say? (Hardwell Remix)
- Fedde Le Grande featuring Mitch Crown - Scared Of Me (Hardwell Remix)
- Silvio Ecomo and Chuckie - Moombah (Hardwell & R3hab Mix)
- AnnaGrace - Let The Feelings Go (Hardwell Mix)
- Hi_Tack - I Don't Mind (Hardwell & R3hab Remix)
- Patric La Funk - Restless (Bjorn Wolf & Hardwell Remix)
- Chris Lake featuring Nastala - If You Knew (Hardwell & R3hab Remix)
- Bob Sinclar featuring Steve Edwards – Peace Song (Hardwell Remix)
- JoeySuki - Dig It All (Hardwell Edit)
- Nicky Romero - Switched (Hardwell & DJ Funkadelic Remix)
- Franky Rizardo - Afrika (Hardwell Remix)
- Dwight Brown - El Saxo (Hardwell's Ibiza Remix)
- Rene Amesz - Coriander (Hardwell & R3hab Remix)
- Tiësto - Lethal Industry (Hardwell Remix)
- Michael Brun - Dawn (Hardwell Edit)
- Taio Cruz featuring Flo Rida - Hangover (Hardwell Remix)
- Tiësto featuring BT - Love Comes Again (Hardwell 2011 Rework)
- Morgan Page, Sultan & Ned Shepard and BT featuring Angela McCluskey - In The Air (Hardwell Remix)
- Adrian Lux featuring Rebecca & Fiona - Boy (Hardwell Remix)
- Gareth Emery and Jerome Isma-Ae - Stars (Hardwell Remix)
- DJ Fresh featuring Sian Evans - Louder (Hardwell Remix)
- Jake Shanahan and Sebastien Lintz - Passion (Hardwell Edit)
- Bella - Nobody Loves Me (Hardwell Remix)
- Martin Solveig featuring Kele - Ready 2 Go (Hardwell Remix)
- Avicii - Levels (Hardwell Next Levels Bootleg)
- Dada Life - Fight Club Is Closed (It's Time For Rock'n'Roll) (Hardwell Remix)
- Alex Gaudino featuring Kelly Rowland - What A Feeling (Hardwell Club Mix)
- Haley - Physical (Hardwell Remix)
- Clokx - Catch Your Fall (Hardwell Club Mix)
- NO_ID and Martin Volt - Zelda (Hardwell Edit)
- Rihanna - Where Have You Been (Hardwell Club Mix)
- The Naked and Famous - Young Blood (Tiësto & Hardwell Remix)
- Knife Party - Internet Friends (Hardwell Edit)
- The Wanted - Chasing The Sun (Hardwell Edit)
- Example - Say Nothing (Hardwell & Dannic Remix)
- Franky Rizardo and Roul and Doors - Elements (Hardwell & Dannic Remix)
- Tony Romera - Pandor (Hardwell Rambo Edit)
- George F - Bongo Man (Hardwell Remix)
- Hardwell featuring Amba Sheperd - Apollo (Hardwell Concert Edit)
- Joe Ghost - Are You Ready (Hardwell Rework)
- Clockwork - Tremor (Hardwell Rambo Edit)
- Krewella - Alive (Hardwell The Final Remix)
- Blasterjaxx - Fifteen (Hardwell Edit)
- Mark Knight and Funkagenda - Man With The Red Face (Hardwell Remix)
- 30 Seconds to Mars - City of Angels (Hardwell Remix)
- Armin Van Buuren - Ping Pong (Hardwell Remix)
- Deorro and J-Trick - Rambo (Hardwell Edit)
- Hardwell featuring Matthew Koma - Dare You (Hardwell Concert Edit)
- Bingo Players - Knock You Out (Hardwell Remix)
- Coldplay - A Sky Full Of Stars (Hardwell Remix)
- Alesso featuring Tove Lo - Heroes (We Could Be) (Hardwell & W&W Bootleg)
- David Guetta featuring Sam Martin – Dangerous (Hardwell Banging Vocal Edit)
- Armin Van Buuren - Together (Hardwell Edit)
- "Hardwell Discography at Discogs". Discogs.com. 2010-07-19. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- "Biography - Hardwell". Djhardwell.com. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
- "HARDWELL WINS 2013 TOP 100 DJS POLL". Djmag.com. 2013-10-19. Retrieved 2013-10-19.
- "Hardwell on "Titan" d album release date". 2014-10-10. Retrieved 2014-10-11.
- "Hardwell - Top 100 Djs Interview". 2014-10-18. Retrieved 2014-10-19.
- "Biography". Archived from the original on 2013-12-16.
- "Hardwell Bio | Hardwell Career". MTV. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
- "Steve Angello & Laidback Luke Ft. Robin S* - Show Me Love (CDr) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
- "Hardwell on Air Bio". Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- "Hardwell Biography & History". Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- Stewart, Adam (2012-01-11). "EDM Great To Watch In 2012 - Music, Celebrity, Artist News.". MTV.com. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- "Hardwell Is The World's #1 DJ". Yahoo Music. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- "Biography | HARDWELL". Djhardwell.com. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- "Hardwell WINS TOP 100 DJS 2013". DJ Magazine. 2013-10-19. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- "Hardwell on "Titan" and album release date". 2014-10-10. Retrieved 2014-10-11.
- "Hardwell - Top 100 Djs Interview". 2014-10-18. Retrieved 2014-10-19.
- Official website
- Hardwell on Best4Ears.com
- Hardwell on EDM Lounge
- Hardwell Rank #1 On DJ Magazine's Top 100 DJ's List 2013
- Hardwell on Bia2dj.com