|Type||Public (LSE: HL.)|
|Headquarters||One College Square, Bristol, UK|
|Key people||Michael Evans (Chairman)
Ian Gorham (CEO)
Peter Hargreaves (former CEO)
Stephen Lansdown (former Chairman)
|Products||ISA, SIPP, Annuities, Income Drawdown|
|Revenue||£358.4 million (2014)|
|Operating income||£208.0 million (2014)|
|Net income||£162.7 million (2014)|
Hargreaves Lansdown plc is a financial service company based in Bristol that sells funds and shares and related products via its website and through the post to retail investors in the United Kingdom. The company is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index.
The company was founded on 1 July 1981 by Peter Hargreaves and Stephen Lansdown who had initially traded from a bedroom. Hargreaves Lansdown initially provided personal advice to clients on unit trusts and tax planning matters. Now, the company has grown to be one of the largest in Bristol, located at One College Square, Harbourside.
The company was first listed on the London Stock Exchange in May 2007, with the company's two founders then holding combined stakes equivalent to 80% in the business. In April 2009, Lansdown sold a stake of 4.7% for a sum of £47.2million to put towards the cost of building Bristol City FC's new football stadium, reducing his stake to 22.9%.
Board of directors
The Board of Hargreaves Lansdown PLC is made up of the following members: Ian Gorham ACA - Chief Executive, Peter Hargreaves FCA - Executive Director, Tracey Taylor FCCA - Chief Financial Officer, Michael Evans - Non-executive Chairman, Chris Barling - Non-executive Director, Dharmash Mistry - Non-executive Director, Stephen Robertson - Non-executive Director, Shirley Garrood - Non-executive Director, Nigel Bence - Chief Operating Officer, Mark Dampier - Head of Research, Lee Gardhouse - Investment Director HL Fund Managers, Stuart Louden - Director Library Information Services Ltd, Ian Hunter - Investment Marketing Director, Nick Marson - Vantage & Broking Operations Director and David Davies - IT Director.
Vantage is the in-house investment platform which enables investors to hold different types of investments together in one place with one valuation and dealing service. Available products under the Vantage brand include ISA, SIPP, and a Fund & Share dealing account. The company also operates four multi-manager unit trusts each of which in turn own a share in a number of underlying funds. The group also provides independent financial advisory, stockbroking and annuity broking services to private investors and advice to companies on group pension schemes. The company also offers a Currency Service enabling investors to access exchange rates and send money abroad.
As of 31 December 2013, the company had £43.4 billion of assets under management. The company reported its Full Year Results on 3 September 2014 - revenue, profits, assets under administration and active client numbers all rose to new record levels. Highlights:
- Total assets under administration were up 29% at £46.9 billion
- Net revenue increased by 8% to £291.9 million
- Operating profit increased by 8% to £208.0m
- Total clients increased by 144,000 to 652,000 since June 2013
- Total dividend up 8% at 32.00 pence per share
In 2014, it has been recognised for the following awards:
- Best ISA Provider - MoneyWeek Readers' Choice Awards
- Best SIPP Provider - MoneyWeek Readers' Choice Awards
- Best Stockbroker - MoneyWeek Readers' Choice Awards
- Best Wealth Manager - MoneyWeek Readers' Choice Awards
- Best Use of API - HL Live iPad app - Appsters Awards
- Best SIPP Provider - What Investment
- Best Information - HL Live iPad app - User Experience UK Awards
- Best Share Dealing Service - What Investment
- Best Fund Supermarket - What Investment
- Best IFA - What Investment
- Best Direct SIPP Provider - Your Money
- Best Junior Stocks & Shares ISA Provider - Your Money
- Best Personal Finance iPad app (HL Live for iPad) - The Tabbys
- Best Mobile Trading Platform - 2014 UK Mobile & App Design Awards
- Best for beginners - The Lang Cat
- Best Financial Services Mobile Strategy/Campaign - MOMA Awards
- Best Direct Platform - The Platforum
- Best Service - The Platforum
- Gold Trusted Merchant (based on client feedback) - Feefo
- Estate Planning Adviser of the Year, Danny Cox, Hargreaves Lansdown - Unbiased.co.uk Media Awards 2014
- Pension Adviser of the Year - Corporate Adviser Awards 2014
- Best Use of Technology by a Corporate Adviser Highly Commended - Corporate Adviser Awards 2014
- Technology Innovation of the Year, Professional Pensions - UK Pension Awards 2014
- Recommended Provider, Fund Supermarkets - Which?
- Annual Results 2014
- Public and Ceremonial Events Office. "Peter Hargreaves and Stephen Lansdown Doctor of Laws". University of Bristol 16 February 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-19.
- Ringshaw, Grant (25 February 2007). "£9m pay packet for investment chief". The Sunday Times (UK). Retrieved 4 May 2010.
- "About us".
- "Map & Reviews of Hargreaves Lansdown, Bristol".
- "Asset manager 'plans £600m float'". BBC News. 27 January 2007.
- Leroux, Marcus (16 April 2009). "Share sale puts £47m in the back of Bristol City's net". The Times (UK). Retrieved 16 April 2009.
- Hargreaves Lansdown multi-manager funds
- HL Today
- About Hargreaves Lansdown Retrieved 2014-05-15
- Consolidated income statement Retrieved 2014-09-03
- Unaudited Preliminary Results Announcement Year ended 30 June 2014 Retrieved 2014-09-03
- Hargreaves Lansdown - Our awards
- Official website
- Vantage Stocks & Shares ISA
- Vantage SIPP
- Share Dealing Service
- HL Live for mobile (iOS & Android)
- HL Live for iPad
- Independent Financial Advice