|Harihareshwara Temple at Harihar|
|• Body||Harihar City Municipal Council|
|• Total||7.8 km2 (3.0 sq mi)|
|Elevation||539 m (1,768 ft)|
|• Density||19,000/km2 (48,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||(91) 08192|
|Civic agency||Harihar City Municipal Council|
|Distance from Davangere||14 kilometres (8.7 mi)|
|Distance from Bangalore||275 kilometres (171 mi)|
Harihar ([hʌrihər]) is a city located in Davanagere District in the Indian state of Karnataka.It is also the administrative headquarters of the Harihar Taluk.Harihar also spelled Hari-hara, in Hinduism,is a syncretic deity, combining the two major gods, Vishnu (Hari) and Siva (Hara). Images of Harihara (also known as Sambhu-Visnu and Sankara-Narayana, variants of the names of the two gods) began to appear in the classical period after sectarian movements, which elevated one god as supreme over the others, had waned sufficiently for efforts at compromise to be attempted.The region of Harihar had been under the control of the Hoysalas from 11th to 13th Century AD. Harihar is famous for a Harihareshwara temple, which is also known as "Dakshina Kashi".
Harihara is situated on the banks of the Tungabhadra River, 275 kilometres north of Bangalore. The neighboring city Davangere is 14 km; Harihar is connected by road and railway, and is located on national Highway 4 (Puna – Bangalore). It has a very pleasant climate through the year. Both Harihar and Davangere cities are referred as twin cities like Hubli and Dharwad.
There is famous temple built in 12th century during Hoysala's time called Harihareshwara temple (Guharanya Kshetra), from which the city derives its name, which is also known as "Dakshina Kashi".
The god Harihareshwara is a combination of god Shiva and Vishnu. There is a story behind avatara of this god. In ancient days this place was known as 'Guharanya'. A dense jungle and habitat of a demon Guhasura. He had a boon that no human or Rakshasa or god can kill him. And he started harassing people around this place. Then Vishnu and Shiva came together in a new avatara called Hari – Hara (Harihara) and killed demon Guhasura. That is how this place has got the name Harihar. Every year the Car festival is celebrated. Harihar also has a famous Ragavendra Mutt located on the banks of Tungabandra.
The harihar serves as a major industrial base also. It is served by the Kirloskar industry and at present Aditya Birla, Grasim, Synthite, Shamanur Sugar's and more. Kirloskar Engineering company has closed down, resulting in a loss of nearly 15,000 jobs. As Harihar is geographically located in the center of Karnataka, it was proposed to be made the capital of the state. However, Bangalore was chosen as the capital. The major lifeline of this small town is the Tungabhadra river, which continues to be exploited and polluted as a result of heavy industrialization.
Harihar is popular for temples.
- Harihareshwara Temple
- Sree Parvathi Temple at temple premises.
- Omkar Math: Shri Math has its building or boundary to the south of Shri Harihareshwara Temple on the banks of the holy river Tungabhadra. By the influence of Shri. Adi Shankar on the universal thought of Advaita, Shri Shivananda Teertha established Omkar Math with the co-operation of local devotes on 1941 march 28 where in Sri Sharadambha,Sri Dattatreya and Sri Adi Shankara on the idols of Sri Math. Swami Sri Shivananda Teertha trust is being established to keep the activities of Sri Math alive and jubilant. For more information visit on [www.omkarmath.org Omkarmath]
- Banashankari Temple on the Banks of Tungabhadra.
- Kannyaka Parameshwari Temple in Temple Street.
- Jai Hanuman Temple opp Old Shoba Talkies.
- Rama Mandhira in Rajaram Colony and Narayana Ashrama on harihara-Hosapete highway.
- Raghavendra Swamy temple (popularly known as Raayara Matha)
- Ayyappa temple other side of the river.
- Rajanahalli Hanumappa temple (Hanuman temple in Rajanahalli, around 6 km from Harihar on bypass highway)
- Graamadevata temple
- Maargadha Dhurgamma temple (towards ranibennur on NH4, around 3 km)
- Kumaranahalli Sri Ranganatha temple and Sri Ranganatha Ashram built by Swamy Shankaralinga Bhagavan (towards Malebennur, around 20 km)
- Mother Mary's Church (Shrine Our Lady of Health)
- Hazarat Chaman Shah Wali Dargha at Bathi Sharief, 6 km towards Davangere
- Hazarat Naadband Shah wali baba Dargha
- Hazarat Ahmed Shah Wali Mahmood Shah Wali Dargha
- Kondajji situated a few kilometers from Harihar is a picnic spot. It is also a major Scouts and Guides camp. It has a lake, where boating is available and hills.
- Ranibennur Blackbuck Sanctuary around 20 km
Harihar is an developing city. In Harihar private sector as growing more than government sector. Harihar is one of the modern cities & looks like district comparing to other towns. In they had many schools, colleges they are Maria Nivas Pre-Nursery to High School, St Marie Pre-nursery to High School, Bapuji pre-nursery to high school, Ambedekar school MKET pre-nursery to high school, MKET cbse pre-nursery to high school, amrutha varshini school vidyadayni cbse school mrb & eshawari pre-nursery to high school, aditya birla school pre-nursery to high school, also many colleges giving competition to other cities in education route. colleges are in below sjvp groups (puc to mba,bed ded, & other bio tec) Sri Jagadguru Vageesharadhya Pa st aloysis college (puc to bachelor commerce) ambedekar college mket college aditya birla college vidyadayni college chethan college
Education has mainly been dominated by the Sri shyla peeta (SJVVP) group of schools,colleges and has been source for quality outgoing students, although new ones are being added up.
In Davangere district, after Davangere Harihar is the main education hub. Maria Nivas High School, Mysore Kirloskar Education Trust (MKET), Birla Group of education institutions are the famous education institutions. These education institutions provide educations of all category (from Pre-Nursery level to Pre-University level).
Every year when 10th (SSLC) and 12th (PUC) results announced most of the top rank students will be from the Birla schools or colleges, MKET schools or colleges. So every year there will be positive competition among these education institutions which will generate good results in the students education.
Harihar also has one ITI college which will provide industrial training to the students in the Carpenter, Fitter, Electrical, and Turner.
Giriyamma college is specially for girls, this is girls college wherein girls can study from school to degree. Even this college provides computer knowledge to the girls as part of their education programs.
SJVPC - Sri Shaila Jagadguru Vagish Panditaradhya college is one of the oldest education institution of Harihar which provides education for both girls and boys from school level to degree level. This education institution provides all kinds of courses like in PUC level Science, Arts and Commerce, in Degree level Bsc, BA, Bcom, Msc, MA and Mcom. Even BEd,MEd, TCH can also be done in this institution.
DRM and AMBEDKAR school and college which also provides education from school to college level.
Apart from the above mentioned schools and colleges there are many new schools and colleges have been opened in the past 5 years. There is plan to open orphanage by St Aloysius group of institution.
In Harihar only thing missing is absence of Engineer and Diploma institutions. Karnataka government has to plan about introducing engineering and diploma colleges in Harihar so that students can enjoy the benefit of studying engineering and other technical education in their own town.Presently Harihar students have to travel 14 kilometers to Davangere city or to Ranebennur town which is 28 kilometers from Harihar to study engineering or diploma courses. So it will be better at least one engineering college and diploma college is established in Harihar so that Harihar students can get the opportunity of studying technical courses in their own town which is very important in the modern day living.
Harihar is located at  It has an average elevation of 540 metres (1771 feet)..
|Urban population, 1.45 Lakhs (2011)|
|Num of properties, 47,098|
|City area, 10.8 km²|
|Length of roads, 101.05 km|
|Total Water Supply, 62,00,000 LD|
|Per Capita Water Supply, 80 LPCD|
|Summer temp, 30°C-40°C|
|Winter temp, 17°C-20°C|
Situated exactly in the middle of Karnataka, Harihar has a good connectivity from South and North.
BY air - The nearest airport is at Hubli 131 km from Harihar. From there one can take flights to Bangalore and Mumbai. The nearest international airport is 275 km away in Bangalore, from where one can take flights for most of the important cities in India. Harihar also has a private airport owned by Aditya Birla Group in their campus and often used by politicians and famous personalities.
BY RAIL - Harihar is connected with most of the metros like New Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Chennai through regular trains. Harihar is a new railway junction which connects Hospet and Bellary via kottur. It is yet to start operating.
- By road
- With NH4 (Part of Golden Quadrilateral) passing close by there is a good network of roads that connects Harihar to other important cities of the region.
- It is a 2.5 hours drive from Hubli (131 km) and 5 hours drive from Bangalore (278 km). Most of the buses which ply from/to North Karnataka to/from South Karnataka (if not all) go via this place. The town is 14 km from Davanagere city, was earlier a part of Chitradurga district (78 km). This town is also near to Hampi, a historical place and Tungabhadra Dam, Hospet. Most of the buses plying from North Karnataka to Dharmasthala, Shimoga, Mysore go via Harihar. Other private travels include:
- Mahesh Travels
- Vijayanand Roadlines (VRL)
- Durgamba travels
- SRE travels
- Latha Tours And Travels
- Good train facility, again connecting Hubli - Bangalore route. Intercity express "Rani Chennamma Express" and Janashatabdi Express are the major trains which people there rely upon and commonly commute in. Other trains include Hubli-Bangalore Fast Passenger which is by all means the convenient train to go to Bangalore (departs from Harihar at 9:30 pm, arrives at Bangalore at 6:10 a m) or to come to Harihar (departs from Bangalore at 10:00 pm and arrives at Harihar at 5:30 am). Another train which has come to light recently is the Dharwar-Mysore express train which departs from Harihar at 10:45 pm.
- Train# 2079, 2080 : Janashatabdi express
- Train# 583 : UBL (Hubli Junction) to SBC (Bangalore city) fast passenger
- Train# 586 : SBC (Bangalore city) to UBL (Hubli Junction) fast passenger
- Intercity express Dharwar to Bangalore, Bangalore to Dharwar.
- Dharwar Mysore Express
- Chalukya Express Bangalore to Mumbai and back
- Sharavathi Express Mysore to Mumbai and back
- Now another railway line is connecting to Hospet via Kottur. [In progress] Then Harihar will directly connect with Hospet, Bellary and Hyderabad.
Nearest airport: Nearest airport to Harihar is the Hubli Airport, which is 131 km from Harihar and one more mini airport is in Aditya Birla Company Harihar.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Harihar
Trains - There is a direct weekly train from New Delhi to Mysore (via Harihar). Train Name - SwarnaJayanthi Express is one of the longest connectivity so far from harihar. An interesting fact - Whether the train is coming from Mysore towards New Delhi or NewDelhi towards Mysore, surprisingly the time it passes Harihar both ways remains same around 1:30 AM.