|Harish Hande |
Hande at the World Economic Forum India Economic Summit in 2011
|Born||Handattu, Kundapura Taluk, Udupi District, Karnataka|
|Alma mater||IIT Kharagpur, University of Massachusetts, Lowell|
Harish Hande is an Indian social entrepreneur, who co-founded SELCO India in 1995. He was awarded with the Ramon Magsaysay Award for 2011 for "his pragmatic efforts to put solar power technology in the hands of the poor, through his social enterprise SELCO India".
He was born in Handattu, Kundapura Taluk, Udupi District, Karnataka and raised in Rourkela, Orissa, India. After completing his basic schooling in Orissa in Ispat English Medium School, he went to IIT Kharagpur for his undergraduate studies in Energy Engineering. He then went to the U.S. to do his Master’s and later PhD. in Energy Engineering at the University of Massachusetts Lowell.
Hande co-founded SELCO INDIA (in 1995), a social enterprise, to eradicate poverty by promoting sustainable technologies in rural India. SELCO India is a social enterprise that provides sustainable energy services to the poor in India.
SELCO INDIA under the leadership of Hande has won the Ashden Award for Sustainable Energy 2005 and Accenture Economic Development Award for 2005. In 2007 SELCO INDIA again won the Ashden Award, this time for "Outstanding Achievement" in energy sector. The award was presented by Al Gore, former Vice President of the United States of America. Hande was named the Social Entrepreneur of the Year 2007 by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship and the Nand & Jeet Khemka Foundation. In 2008, Hande was chosen by Business Today as one of the "21 young leaders for India’s 21st century". Later, in June 2008, India Today named him one of the 50 pioneers of change in India.
Harish Hande was also awarded the Karnataka Rajyotsava Prashasti in 2011 by the Government of Karnataka.In 2013 the Trustees of University of Massachusetts awarded him the Doctorate of Humane Letters. In 2014 IIT Kharagpur conferred upon him the distinguished alumnus award.
- "Bangalorean gets Ramon Magsaysay Award". The Hindu. July 28, 2011.
- A toast to IIT Kharagpur
- "Social Entrepreneur:Harish Hande".
- "Nileema Mishra, Harish Hande win Magsaysay award". The Times of India. Jul 27, 2011.
- Tech Museum Award 2005 "The Tech Awards Laureates 2005". Retrieved July 16, 2011.
- Outstanding Achievement Award from Ashden Awards "International winners 2007".
- "Social Entrepreneur of the Year 2007" (PDF).
- "Hande Harish".
- "The NAND & KHEMKA Foundation".
- "Dr. Harish Hande".
- "Let there be light". India Today. June 26, 2008. Retrieved July 16, 2012.
- Karnataka: Harish Hande among 50 state awardees - South India - Karnataka - ibnlive