Harlem – 148th Street (IRT Lenox Avenue Line)
View of platform at Harlem – 148th Street
|Address||West 149th Street & Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard
New York, NY 10039
|Line||IRT Lenox Avenue Line|
|Services||3 (all times)|
|Connection||NYCT Bus: M2|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Opened||May 13, 1968|
|Former/other names||148th Street – Lenox Terminal|
|Passengers (2013)||1,171,372 5.5%|
|Rank||338 out of 421|
|Next north||(Terminal): 3|
|Next south||145th Street: 3|
Harlem – 148th Street (signed as 148th Street – Lenox Terminal), is a terminal station on the IRT Lenox Avenue Line of the New York City Subway. Located at the intersection of 149th Street and Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard in Harlem, it is served by the 3 train at all times.
This station is the northern terminal of the IRT Lenox Avenue Line. There are two tracks and one island platform here. The tracks end at bumper blocks at the west end of the platform. Next to the station is Lenox Yard, which is used for train storage and has no maintenance facility. The yard predates the station, which was added in 1968 at a relatively low cost, since the yard and the track connection were already there. Formerly, the terminal was one station to the south, at 145th Street.
Due to the high ceiling, platform service information signs are hung from heavy cables.
The station's only mezzanine is at the west (railroad north) end of the station. From the single island platform, a double-wide stairway leads up to a set of doors that separate the street-level station-house at Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard. There are three turnstiles and a token-booth.
This station was intended to be a replacement for the 145th Street station. However, plans to shut down 145th Street were cancelled due to protests from residents of a nearby[where?] apartment complex.[which?]
From 1995 to 2008, this station lacked full-time service, as 3 trains did not operate during late nights. Full-time service was restored on July 27, 2008.
|Fare control||Station agent, MetroCard vending machines|
|Yard tracks||No service|
|Track 2||→ toward New Lots Avenue (Times Square – 42nd Street late nights) (145th Street) →|
|Island platform, doors will open on the left or right|
|Track 1||→ toward New Lots Avenue (Times Square – 42nd Street late nights) (145th Street) →|
|Maintenance tracks||No service|
- "Facts and Figures: Annual Subway Ridership". New York City Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- Cox, Jeremiah (June 26, 2008). "148th Street – Lenox Terminal Pictures". The Subway Nut. Retrieved September 2012.
- "Service Enhancements on 3 Line" (Press release). MTA New York City Transit. 2008-07-24. Retrieved 2008-07-26.
- Powell Boulevard Station entrance (The Subway Nut)
- West end of the station (under the parking lot to the left) from Google Maps Street View
- East end of the station from Google Maps Street View
Media related to Harlem – 148th Street (IRT Lenox Avenue Line) at Wikimedia Commons
- nycsubway.org—IRT White Plains Road Line: 148th Street/Lenox Terminal
- Station Reporter — 3 Train
- Seventh Avenue entrance from Google Maps Street View