Harlequin Shopping Centre
|Opening date||June 1992|
|Owner||(93%) Intu Properties, (7%) Watford Borough Council|
|Architect||Chapman Taylor Partners|
|No. of stores and services||Over 145|
|Total retail floor area||67,500 m2 (727,000 sq ft)|
|No. of floors||7 (inc. Parking)|
|Parking||2050 + 3000 (Watford Council) in Watford|
The building is glass roofed with symmetrical malls. A gallery on the third floor exhibits the work of local artists. An adjoining shopping centre, Charter Place, was bought by Intu Properties in April 2013.
In 1962 there were initial discussions about development of the site with the plans including a ten-pin bowling alley and 130 flats.
The Sainsbury's store on Queen's Road was bought and demolished (1983) to create space for the centre and a warehouse. During the development of the centre, listed high street buildings were renovated and Queen's Road was maintained as a pedestrian cross route through the town.
Watford Council extended a resident parking permit scheme in 1996 to deal with the parking congestion that had arisen since the opening of the Centre.
Intu Properties purchased the adjoining Charter Place shopping centre from Watford Borough Council in April 2013. The company announced plans to integrate Charter Place into the main Intu Watford centre, and include a multi-screen cinema, restaurants and larger shops in the development.
- Phillips, Derek (2013). "Case study 45: Harlequin Shopping Centre, Watford". Lighting Modern Buildings. Routledge. p. 192. ISBN 9781136387302.
- Hayes-Griffin, J.; Collis, H. (1998). "Decriminalised parking in Watford". Highways and transportation 45 (5): 17–20. ISSN 0265-6868.
- Wright, Mike (25 February 2013). "Harlequin Centre rebrand begins". Watford Observer. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Intu exchanges on Charter Place shopping centre". Watford Borough Council. 24 April 2013. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- Wright, Mike (1 November 2013). "New IMAX cinema planned for Watford as part of Charter Place revamp". Watford Observer. Retrieved 30 November 2013.