Harmondsworth shown within Greater London
|OS grid reference|
|Ceremonial county||Greater London|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Post town||WEST DRAYTON|
|UK Parliament||Hayes and Harlington|
|London Assembly||Ealing and Hillingdon|
Notable features of the village are:
- The church of St Mary, with parts dating from the 12th century, There is an opinion  that Heathrow Airport is legally responsible for maintaining this church's chancel, because the airport now owns land (formerly in Heathrow village) which in 1819 at the enclosing of the commons had been assigned in lieu of tithes used to maintain the chancel.
- The Grade I listed Harmondsworth Barn, Britain's largest tithe barn, made entirely without nails. As of January 2012 the barn is owned by English Heritage.
Probably Harmondsworth's principal claim to notability is that from 1937 the offices and warehouses of Penguin Books were here. Thus, until the 1990s, all Penguin books published in the United Kingdom bore the publication location, "Harmondsworth, Middlesex," rather than London.
- 1894: Rural districts brought in. Harmondsworth civil parish was put in Staines Rural District.
- 1930: Harmondsworth civil parish was transferred to Yiewsley and West Drayton Urban District
- 1949: Harmondsworth civil parish was merged with Yiewsley and West Drayton.
- 1965: Middlesex county was abolished. Harmondsworth civil parish was transferred to the London Borough of Hillingdon, in Greater London.
- Harmondsworth is currently (April 2012) in the Heathrow Villages ward, which elects three councillors on Hillingdon Council.
United Kingdom government
Harmondsworth Primary School is in Harmondsworth.
The area is served by West Drayton railway station.
|name||type||built||occupant||demolished?||use of house or site now|
|Harmondsworth Great Barn||tithe barn||early 15th century||no|
|Manor Farm||farmhouse||early 19th century||no||farm until early 1970's, then offices|
- Details from listed building database (202847) - Grade I. Images of England. English Heritage.
- http://chancelrepairliability.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/is-heathrow-airport-responsible-for.html Is Heathrow Airport responsible for a Chancel?
- "Medieval Harmondsworth Barn bought by English Heritage". BBC News. 30 January 2012.
- Sherwood 1999, p.15
- "Harmondsworth: Introduction". A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner. University of London & History of Parliament Trust. 1971. pp. 1–7. Retrieved 2009-01-18.
- "Harmondsworth CP/AP Middlesex through time – Administrative history of Parish-level Unit: hierarchies, boundaries". A Vision of Britain through Time. * University of Portsmouth & others. 2008. Retrieved 2009-01-18.
- "Heathrow Villages ward". London Borough of Hillingdon. 2009-01-14. Retrieved 2009-01-18.
- "Colnbrook Immigration Removal Centre." UK Border Agency. Retrieved on 13 February 2010.
- "Harmondsworth Immigration Removal Centre." UK Border Agency. Retrieved on 13 February 2010.
- "Contact Information." British Airways. Retrieved on 18 May 2009.
- "Our locations." British Airways. Retrieved on 18 September 2009.
- Pub guide
- "Harmondsworth Primary School." London Borough of Hillingdon. Retrieved on 27 June 2010.
- Sherwood, Philip. (1999) Heathrow: 2000 Years of History. The History Press ISBN 978-0-7524-5086-2
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Harmondsworth.|