Harmony Sweepstakes A Cappella Festival
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011)|
The Harmony Sweepstakes A Cappella Festival is an annual showcase and competition for a cappella groups of all vocal styles. The competition is organized into eight regional events across the United States, with each winning group advancing to the National Finals in San Rafael, California.
The festival began in 1984 at a neighborhood pub in Marin County as a small and informal contest between friends. It is now a national competition, with eight regional events held in Boston, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, New York, Olympia (Pacific Northwest), San Francisco (Bay Area), and Washington, DC (Mid-Atlantic). The National Finals take place each May at the Marin Veteran's Auditorium in San Rafael.
The Harmony Sweepstakes has also established an annual A Cappella Summit, a two-day jamboree and convention for enthusiasts of contemporary a cappella. The Summit consists of workshops, performances, demonstrations, and seminars, along with vendors offering goods and services for the a cappella community.
|Year||Grand Champion||Audience Favorite|
|2011||Da Capo||Da Capo|
|2010||Plumbers of Rome||b vocal|
|2009||MAXX Factor||The Love Notes|
|2007||Moira Smiley & VOCO||Face|
|2005||Groove For Thought||Face|
|2004||The Idea of North||The Idea of North|
- Brass Farthing, Bay Area region
- The Brotherhood Singers, Chicago region
- Throat, Denver region
- Da Capo, Mid-Atlantic region
- Traces, New York City
- The Baudboys, Pacific Northwest
Hosted by 2010 National Champions, Plumbers of Rome.
- Boyz Night Out, San Francisco
- Plumbers of Rome, Boston
- Home Free, Chicago
- Confidential, Denver
- Soundstage, Los Angeles
- West Side Five, New York
- bVocal, New York.
- Love Notes
- 3 Men and a Melody
- Mouth Beats
- MAXX Factor
- Cartoon Johnny
- Road Show
- Where's Gesualdo
- Red No.5
- The Baudboys
- Sound Stage
- Men in Black, Boston
- V-Chords, Pacific Northwest
- Moira Smiley & VOCO, Los Angeles (1st Place & Best Original Song, Stand in the River)
- Face, Denver (2nd Place, Audience Favorite & Best Original Arrangement, O Fortuna)
- The Fault Line, New York City
- Solstice, Bay Area (3rd Place)
- DoubleShot!, Mid-Atlantic
- Nightwatch, Chicago
Hosted by 2006 National Champions, Hi-Fidelity.
- Clockwork, Bay Area (3rd Place & Best Original Arrangement, Donna Lee)
- Curious Gage, Denver
- ElmoTHUMM, Chicago
- Hi-Fidelity, Los Angeles (1st Place & Audience Favorite)
- Regency, Mid-Atlantic (2nd Place)
- 'Round Midnight, New York
- Tongue Tied A Cappella, Pacific Northwest
- Traces, Boston (Best Original Song, Wonderful World)
Hosted by Groove for Thought, 2005 National Champions
- "Harmony Sweepstakes A Cappella Festival - Annual competition for vocal groups". Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- "National a cappella festival finals Saturday". San Francisco Chronicle. 13 May 2010. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- "Coming Up This Weekend". San Francisco Chronicle. 4 May 2006. Retrieved 10 April 2011.