Harold A. Linstone
Harold Adrian Linstone (born 1924) is a German-American mathematician, consultant, futurist and University Professor Emeritus of Systems Science at Portland State University. He is a well known specialist in applied mathematics.
Harold Linstone is a naturalized citizen of the United States born in Hamburg, Germany in 1924. He received an M.A. from Columbia University and a Ph.D. from the University of Southern California, both in mathematics.
Linstone worked for twenty-two years in industry, which included positions at Hughes Aircraft and Lockheed Corporation since 1963, where he was Associate Director of Corporate Planning - Systems Analysis since 1968. He has been a consultant to many organizations, including the US House of Representatives, State of Alaska oil Spill Commission, Alberta Economic Development Commission, and UN Asian-Pacific center for Technology Transfer, as well as corporations such as IBM and United Airlines.
Later he has worked as University Professor of Systems Science at Portland State University, where from 1970 to 1977 he has served as director of its Systems Science Ph.D. Program and Futures Research Institute. He has served as visiting Professor at the University of Rome, the University of Washington, and Kiel University in West Germany.
Harold Linstone is editor-in-chief of the professional journal "Technological Forecasting and Social Change", which he founded in 1969, and which is now in its 56th volume. In 1993-94 he served as president of the International Society for the Systems Sciences. In 2003 he won the World Future Society’s Distinguished Service Award.
Books published by Linstone:
- 1975. The Delphi Method. Edited with Murray Turoff. Addison-Wesley.
- 1976. Futures Research: New Directions. Edited with W. H. Clive Simmonds. Mass. : Addison-Wesley Pub. Co.
- 1977. Technological Substitution: forecasting techniques and applications. Edited with Devendra Sahal. New York : Elsevier Pub. Co.
- 1984. Multiple Perspectives for Decision Making : bridging the gap between analysis and action. North-Holland : Elsevier Science Pub. Co."
- 1993. The Unbounded Mind : breaking the chains of traditional business thinking. With Ian Mitroff. New York : Oxford University Press.
- 1994. The Challenge of the 21st Century: managing technology and ourselves in a shrinking world. With Ian I. Mitroff . Albany : State University of New York Press.
- 1999. Decision making for technology executives : using multiple perspectives to improved performance. Boston : Artech House.
- Harold A. Linstone on www.isss.org. Retrieved 8 June 2008