Harold Augenbraum (born New York City March 31, 1953) is an American writer, editor, and translator. He is currently Executive Director of the National Book Foundation, and former member of the Board of Trustees of the Asian American Writers Workshop, and former vice chair of the New York Council for the Humanities. Before taking up his current position in November 2004, for fifteen years Augenbraum was Director of The Mercantile Library of New York (now the Center for Fiction), where he established the Center for World Literature, the New York Festival of Mystery, the Clifton Fadiman Medal, and the Proust Society of America. He has been awarded eight grants from the National Endowment for the Humanities, received a Raven Award from the Mystery Writers of America for distinguished service to the mystery field, and coordinated the national celebration of the John Steinbeck Centennial. He is on the advisory board of the literary magazine The Common, based at Amherst College.
Augenbraum has published six books on Latino literature of the United States and translations of Alvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca’s Chronicle of the Narváez Expedition and the Filipino novelist José Rizal’s Noli Me Tangere and El filibusterismo for Penguin Classics. He also edited the Collected Poems of Marcel Proust.
Full Length Books edited and translated by Harold Augenbraum
- 2013 -- Alvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca, Narrative of the Narváez Expedition, edited
- 2013 -- Marcel Proust, Collected Poems, edited with an Introduction by
- 2012 -- Juan Rulfo, The Plain in Flames (El Llano en llamas), translated by Ilan Stavans and Harold
- 2011 -- José Rizal, El Filibusterismo, edited, translated, and with an Introduction by
- 2010 -- Norton Anthology of U.S. Latino Literature, General Editor, Ilan Stavans, Co-Editor, Harold
Augenbraum, et al
- 2006 -- Lengua Fresca: Latinos on the Edge, edited with Ilan Stavans
- 2006 -- José Rizal, Noli Me Tangere, translation
- 2005 -- Encyclopedia Latina, General Editor, Ilan Stavans, Associate Editor, Harold Augenbraum.
- 2002 -- Alvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca, Chronicle of the Narváez Expedition, revised translation
- 2002 -- How to Organize a Steinbeck Book or Film Discussion Group, with Susan Shillinglaw
- 2000 -- U.S. Latino Literature: A Critical Guide for Students and Teachers, edited with Margarite Fernandez-Olmos
- 1997 -- The Latino Reader: An American Literary Tradition from 1542 to the Present Day, edited with Margarite Fernandez-Olmos
- 1993 -- Growing Up Latino: Memoirs and Stories, with Ilan Stavans
- 1993 -- Bendíceme, América, with Terry Quinn and Ilan Stavans
- 1992 -- Latinos in English: A Selected Bibliography of Latino Fiction Writers of the United States, edited
- Contemporary Authors (Gale Research)
- Penguin Classics author biography
-  National Book Foundation Official Site