2 March 1936 |
|Residence||Cambridge, England, UK|
|Alma mater||Imperial College London
King's College, Cambridge
|Thesis||Studies on high-current-density thermionic cathodes (1963)|
|Doctoral advisor||Charles Oatley|
Haroon Ahmed is a prominent British Pakistani scientist in the fields of microelectronics and electrical engineering. He is an Emeritus Professor of Microelectronics at the Cavendish Laboratory, the Physics Department of the University of Cambridge.
Ahmed was educated at St Patrick's High School, Karachi, followed by an undergraduate degree at Imperial College London. He went on to obtain his PhD in 1963 and his Doctor of Science degrees in 1996 from the University of Cambridge.
Ahmed was appointed a faculty member of the Engineering Department, Cambridge in 1963 and worked there for 20 years before moving to the Physics Department where he was promoted to Professor of Microelectronics and was the Head of the Microelectronics Research Centre until his retirement in 2003. He is a former Fellow, Director of Studies in Engineering, and Master of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and is now an Honorary Fellow.
Ahmed has published a large number of papers in scientific and engineering research journals on microelectronics, micro and nanofabrication, electron and ion beam lithography, semiconductor single electron devices and related topics. 
He established a number of major collaborations between industry and the University including the Hitachi Cambridge Laboratory in the Microelectronics Research Centre. He is the author with P.J. Spreadbury of Electronics for Engineers (CUP 1973) and An Introduction to Physical Electronics with A.H.W. Beck (Elsevier, 1968, out of print). He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering in 1990.
He has served as a Syndic of Cambridge University Press, as Non-Executive Director of the Addenbrooke's Hospital NHS Trust, as President of the Philosophical Society, as a member of the MacRobert Committee which awards a prize annually to the most innovative engineering company in the UK and is currently a member of the Development Board of Imperial College. He has also worked as a consultant to several major electronics industrial companies. He was elected a Fellow of Corpus Christi College in 1967, became Warden of Leckhampton (the College’s Graduate Campus) in 1993 and Master in 2000, succeeding Professor Sir Tony Wrigley and resigned in 2006 to advise the Government of Pakistan on Higher Education matters.
He was the College’s 48th Master since its foundation in 1352. In his time as Master the College celebrated its 650th anniversary, the Taylor Library project was implemented, the Conservation Centre for manuscripts was built and the project on the digital imaging of the College’s Parker collection was started.
Among his other interests are golf and cricket.
- "AHMED, Prof. Haroon". Who's Who 2013, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2013; online edn, Oxford University Press.(subscription required)
- Hopper, A.; Jones, A.; Augur, R. A.; Fice, M. J.; Blythe, S.; Ahmed, H. (1992). "A feasibility study for the fabrication of planar silicon multichip modules using electron beam lithography for precise location and interconnection of chips". IEEE Transactions on Components, Hybrids, and Manufacturing Technology 15: 97. doi:10.1109/33.124197.
- Ahmed, Haroon (2013). Cambridge Computing: The First 75 years. London: Third Millennium Publishing Limited. p. 176. ISBN 9781906507831.
- Haroon Ahmed from the Scopus bibliographic database
- Wharam, D. A.; Thornton, T. J.; Newbury, R.; Pepper, M.; Ahmed, H.; Frost, J. E. F.; Hasko, D. G.; Peacock, D. C.; Ritchie, D. A.; Jones, G. A. C. (1988). "One-dimensional transport and the quantisation of the ballistic resistance". Journal of Physics C: Solid State Physics 21 (8): L209. doi:10.1088/0022-3719/21/8/002.
- Thornton, T.; Pepper, M.; Ahmed, H.; Andrews, D.; Davies, G. (1986). "One-Dimensional Conduction in the 2D Electron Gas of a Ga As-Al Ga As Heterojunction". Physical Review Letters 56 (11): 1198. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.56.1198. PMID 10032595.
- Sato, T.; Ahmed, H.; Brown, D.; Johnson, B. F. G. (1997). "Single electron transistor using a molecularly linked gold colloidal particle chain". Journal of Applied Physics 82 (2): 696. doi:10.1063/1.365600.
- Corpus Christi College - Haroon Ahmed
- Haroon Ahmed interviewed by Alan Macfarlane 8 December 2009 (film)
- Ahmed, Haroon (1963). Studies on high-current-density thermionic cathodes (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge.
- He, J.; Durrani, Z. A. K.; Ahmed, H. (2004). "Universal three-way few-electron switch using silicon single-electron transistors". Applied Physics Letters 85 (2): 308. doi:10.1063/1.1772526.
|Master of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge