Karri Turner as Lieutenant Sims
|First appearance||Crossing the Line (January 31, 1997)|
|Last appearance||Fair Winds and Following Seas (April 29, 2005)|
|Portrayed by||Karri Turner|
|Occupation||Administrator at the Judge Advocate General Corps|
|Family||Roland Sims (father)
Lydia Beaumont Sims (mother)
Sims comes from a Southern "old money" family and faced some prejudice when she joined the Navy. Her mother was particularly displeased with her career choice and decision to marry "a man named after a dog" – namely, Bud.
Sims was promoted twice during the series, first (in the fourth season episode "River's Run") to Lieutenant (j.g.) after two years as an Ensign,[clarification needed]} then to Lieutenant in the sixth season episode "Lifeline".
Sims first appeared in the second season episode "Crossing the Line" as an Ensign aboard Seahawk, where she had replaced her future husband, Lt. Bud Roberts, who was the ship's public affairs officer. Later in the season she transferred to JAG headquarters, attached to the administrative staff, and began a relationship with Roberts. Despite some last minute second thoughts, Sims marries Roberts in the penultimate episode of the third season. While Navy regulations strictly forbade fraternization, Admiral Chegwidden managed to pull some strings and has Sims transferred to the department of the Inspector General while remaining attached to the JAG headquarters administrative staff.
Sims and Roberts have had five children together:
- A.J. (named in the honor of RAdm A.J. Chegwidden, however not taking his proper first names Albert Jethro.)
- Sarah (named in the honor of Lt.Col Sarah MacKenzie. Unfortunately, the child died after child birth.)
- James Kirk (named in the honor of Capt James T. Kirk since Roberts was a big fan of "Star Trek" fan.)
- Unnamed twins (a boy and a girl) born towards the end of the series (girl is called Nikki in episode Straits of Malacca).
In the final episode of the ninth season, Sims announces she is pregnant with twins and is having her commission in the Navy sent to an inactive reserve billet, so she can stay home and raise her growing family. Although she, in essence, resigns her commission, she is still seen for the rest of the series.
Awards and decorations
In Order of Precedence
|Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal||National Defense Service Medal||Global War on Terrorism Service Medal|
- "Wedding Bell Blues". JAG. Season 3. Episode 23. May 12, 1998. CBS.