Harris School of Public Policy Studies
||This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (December 2009)|
|The University of Chicago Irving B. Harris Graduate School of Public Policy|
|Location||Chicago, Illinois, USA|
The University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy is the public policy school of the University of Chicago in Chicago, Illinois, USA. It is one of the top policy schools in the United States. It is located on the University's main campus in Hyde Park. In addition to policy studies and policy analysis, the school requires its students to pursue training in economics and statistics through preliminary examinations and course requirements. Further, the Harris School is known for its curricular interactions with the University-at-large, with students drawing upon the offerings of the Booth School of Business, Law School, School of Social Service Administration, and the Graduate Division of the Social Sciences.
The Harris School offers three full-time professional masters degree programs: a Master of Public Policy (M.P.P.), an M.S. in Environmental Science and Policy, and a one-year A.M. in Public Policy. Further, a Ph.D. degree program is offered to students looking to pursue a career designing and conducting policy-relevant research.
The Harris School offers the opportunity for concentrated study in the following areas (but not limited to):
- Social and Economic policy
- International Policy
- Politics and Institutions
Includes the political economy of state, local and national governance, and the management of governmental and non-profit organizations.
The M.S. in Environmental Science and Policy is offered jointly by the Harris School and Physical Sciences Division.
The Harris School partnership with other professional schools and divisions within the University of Chicago to offer accelerated joint/dual degrees.
- M.P.P./A.M. - Joint Degree with the Center for Middle Eastern Studies
- M.P.P./M.Div. - Joint Degree with the Divinity School
- M.P.P./M.B.A. - Joint Degree with the Booth School of Business
- M.P.P./J.D. - Joint Degree with the Law School
- M.P.P./A.M.-SSA - Joint Degree with the School of Social Service Administration
- AM/MA-CIR - Dual Degree Committee on International Relations (CIR)
- The Professional Option Program with the College
The Harris School runs cooperative programs with other top policy schools outside the US.
The Harris School takes part on non-degree programs that are offered through the University of Chicago.
- William G. Howell - Sydney Stein Professor in American Politics; Co-Director, Program on Political Institutions; Professor, Department of Political Science and the College
- Tomas J. Philipson - Daniel Levin Professor of Public Policy Studies, Harris School; Associate Faculty Member, Department of Economics
- Charles Wheelan - Senior Lecturer, Harris School
- Frank Kruesi - Former President, Chicago Transit Authority; Visiting faculty member, Harris School
- "History of the Harris School". Harris School of Public Policy. Retrieved July 19, 2009. ". Established in 1988, the Harris School emerged from an interdepartmental Committee on Public Policy."