Harris and Me
Harris and Me first edition cover.
|Cover artist||Wendell Minor|
|Publisher||Harcourt Children's Books|
|October 29, 1993|
|Media type||Print (Hardback & Paperback)|
|Pages||168 pp (first edition)|
|LC Class||PS3566.A834 H37 1993|
Harris and Me is a children's novel written by award-winning author Gary Paulsen. It was first published in 1993. The book is composed of a collection of vignettes with a subheading to preview each chapter. Based on a 2007 online poll, the National Education Association named the book one of its "Teachers' Top 100 Books for Children."
Harris and Me is a story, told in the first person, about a boy whose alcoholic parents send him away to spend each summer with family relatives. One summer he is sent to stay with the Larsons, farmers in a remote area of Minnesota. The story focuses around the humorous events of a city boy learning to live on a farm with Harris. From jumping from a barn loft, to playing cops and robbers with real shotguns, Harris and his cousin do some crazy things during Paulsen's stay at the farm. (Gary Paulsen is assumed the narrator of the story although he is not named, but referred to as "I")
According to the author, Gary Paulsen, this story is based on his own life.
- The "Me" of the title is an eleven-year-old boy who narrates the story.
- Harris Larson: A hyperactive nine-year-old boy who loves kinetic adventures.
- Knute Larson: Harris's father, a farmer who almost never speaks.
- Louie: A farmhand on the Larson's place. He sleeps above the barn and has a pet lynx named Buzzer. He has no teeth and swallows his food without chewing.
- Glennis Larson: Harris's older sister, who repeatedly slaps Harris for swearing, which happens numerous times a day.
- Clair Larson: Harris's mother.
Note: This is a memoir of a summer in the life of Gary Paulsen. It is said that he never went back to visit Harris.
- National Education Association (2007). "Teachers' Top 100 Books for Children". Retrieved August 19, 2012.
- Juliane F. Gillispie and Robert M. Otten. Harris and Me: A Summer Remembered: For Further Reference. Beacham's Guide to Literature for Young Adults. Ed. Kirk H. Beetz. Vol 7. Beacham-Gale, 1990. January 2005. 26 June 2008.
- Nile, Amber. Harris and Me. Secondary English. 19 June 2008.
- Paulsen, Gary. Harris and Me. Orlando: Harcourt, Inc., 1993.
|This article about a children's novel of the 1990s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|