Location in Poinsett County and the state of Arkansas
|• Total||2.1 sq mi (5.4 km2)|
|• Land||2.1 sq mi (5.4 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||312 ft (95 m)|
|• Density||1,043.8/sq mi (405.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0077132|
Harrisburg is a city in Poinsett County, Arkansas, United States. The population was 2,192 at the 2000 census. It is included in the Jonesboro, Arkansas Metropolitan Statistical Area. The city is the county seat of Poinsett County.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,192 people, 855 households, and 582 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,050.4 people per square mile (404.9/km²). There were 928 housing units at an average density of 444.7/sq mi (171.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 96.66% White, 1.24% Black or African American, 0.09% Native American, 0.27% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.87% from other races, and 0.82% from two or more races. 1.51% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race and 00.01% Other.
There were 855 households out of which 29.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.8% were married couples living together, 15.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.9% were non-families. 29.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.33 and the average family size was 2.84.
In the city the population was spread out with 25.1% under the age of 18, 9.9% from 18 to 24, 24.9% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 17.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 90.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $19,862, and the median income for a family was $24,274. Males had a median income of $20,767 versus $18,461 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,813. About 42.6% of families and 42.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 26.5% of those under age 18 and 25.6% of those age 65 or over.
- John K. Hutchison, Republican member of the Arkansas House of Representatives from District 52; resident of Harrisburg
- Larry Todd Mills, former U.S. Air Force K-9 SP and inventor of the Doritos Locos Taco. Served as President Bill Clinton's personal escort whenever he traveled to Arkansas. Held a degree in Industrial Writing from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock and was Vice President of Communications and Marketing at the Little Rock Chamber of Commerce. A Harrisburg native and Cabot resident, Mills died of Brain Cancer on November 28, 2013 at the age of forty-one.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.