Judd in 2007
|Birth name||Harry Mark Christopher Judd|
23 December 1985 |
Chelmsford, Essex, England
|Genres||Pop punk, pop rock|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, Songwriter, Actor|
|Instruments||Drums, trumpet, piano, guitar, vocals|
|Labels||Island (2003-07, 2010-present)
Super Records (2008-present)
|Associated acts||McFly, McBusted|
Harry Mark Christopher Judd (born 23 December 1985) is an English musician who is best known as the drummer for British pop rock band McFly, along with fellow band members Tom Fletcher, Dougie Poynter and Danny Jones. Judd won the 2011 series of Strictly Come Dancing.
Early life and education
Judd was born in the town of Chelmsford, Essex in southern England, the youngest of three children. He is the son of Emma and Christopher Judd. He was educated at Old Buckenham Hall in the village of Brettenham, Suffolk and Dame Bradbury's School in the town of Saffron Walden, Essex, and boarded at Uppingham School in the small town of Uppingham, Rutland in central England. While at Uppingham, Judd was a member of Fircroft house and was a promising batsman but gave up cricket to pursue a career in music.
Judd appeared in Busted's music video for their 2003 single "Crashed the Wedding", after which he joined McFly following auditions. Alongside his band mates in McFly, Judd has been seen on TV programmes including The Paul O'Grady Show, T4's Freshly Squeezed and BBC programme Sound.
In January 2005, McFly guest-starred in an episode of the long-running BBC One drama series Casualty. Unfortunately, Judd went missing on set for half of the period that they were filming for the series. His bandmates thought he had fallen off a mosque in Tunisia.
In May 2006, McFly starred in the teen comedy film Just My Luck with Lindsay Lohan and Chris Pine, which was released in the US on 12 May 2006 and in the UK on 30 June 2006. They played themselves in the film and the soundtrack featured a variety of their songs from their first two albums. During filming, rumours sparked of a relationship between Judd and Lohan. However, Lohan's reps denied this and said that it was just a publicity stunt. Judd spoke of his romance in the Sun at the end of last year (2011) saying they spent the night together "We did things teenagers do. We went far enough but not the full home run." Judd commented.
On 6 July 2012, Judd appeared on The Million Pound Drop Live along with Michelle, his partner he only met in person once they were on stage. They won £25,000 each.
Judd has also appeared in his second solo photo shoot in the October edition of Attitude after earning their 'Hottest Man Honors' at the 2012 attitude awards.
In December 2013, Judd appeared on Celebrity The Chase (UK game show) with Chris Bisson, Gareth Thomas (rugby) and Naga Munchetty. He earned £6,000 in his individual chase, but he, Bisson and Munchetty were caught by Mark Labbett in the final chase with 49 seconds to go.
Strictly Come Dancing
On 6 September 2011 it was announced that Judd would take part in the 2011 series of Strictly Come Dancing. In the launch show of the series on 10 September, his professional dance partner was revealed as Aliona Vilani. His performances were well received by the show's judges, and his scores landed him in the top half of the leaderboard each week. On 22 October Judd received the first 10 score of the series, from judge Alesha Dixon. On 26 November he received the highest score of this series which was 46 out of 47 (including 3 tens for his first dance and the top score for the swingathon). On 17 December he and Vilani won the series final at Blackpool's Tower Ballroom.
|Week #||Dance/Song||Judges' scores||Result|
|1||Cha-Cha-Cha/"Moves Like Jagger"||6||7||8||7||28||No Elimination|
|2||Foxtrot/"Just the Way You Are"||6||6||8||7||27||Safe|
|4||Waltz/"Come Away With Me"||8||8||10||9||35||Safe|
|7||Argentine Tango/"Asi se Baila el Tango"||9||8||10||10||37||Safe|
|8||Salsa/"I'm Still Standing"||8||8||9||9||34||Safe|
|9||Quickstep/"Don't Get Me Wrong"||9||10||10||10||39||Safe|
|Swing Marathon/"Chattanooga Choo Choo"||Judges Awarded 7 Points||46|
|10||Rumba / "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You"||9||9||9||9||36||Safe|
|11||Viennese Waltz / "This Year's Love"||9||10||10||10||39||Safe|
|Charleston / "I'm Just Wild About Harry"||9||10||10||10||39|
On 23 March 2012 Judd performed again in BBC's "Strictly Come Dancing Underwater", as part of Sport Relief 2012, and was narrowly beaten by Chelsee Healey.
Judd met his wife, former Escala violinist Brittany "Izzy" Johnston, when she appeared as part of the string section on McFly's 2005 concert tour. The couple moved in together in the summer of 2011, just before Judd was confirmed as a contestant in Strictly Come Dancing. On 17 May 2012, the couple became engaged, when Judd proposed on the island of St. Lucia. They married at St Nicholas' Church in Harpenden on 21 December 2012.
Judd and his McFly bandmates support the Brain Injury Rehabilitation Trust (BIRT) through the Eyes Alight Appeal founded by his wife Izzy. His brother-in-law Rupert had sustained a serious traumatic brain injury as a result of a car accident in 1997 and Rupert's long recovery inspired Izzy to set up the appeal to raise funds to support BIRT's rehabilitation programmes.
- "Harry Judd Bio". McFlyOfficial.com.[dead link]
- "Harry Judd's Charity Cricket Match". OU (Uppingham School). Issue 41, 2013/2014. p. 27. Check date values in:
- "Name-dropped by Wisden". Cricinfo. 13 May 2013.
- "Just My Luck (2006)". IMDb. Retrieved 23 November 2007.
- McFly drummer admits fling with Lohan - Showbiz News - Digital Spy
- Robertson, Colin (11 December 2011). "Harry Judd: Strictly No Drinking helped me win". The Sun (News UK).
- "Strictly Come Dancing signs up Lulu and Edwina Currie". BBC News (British Broadcasting Corporation). 6 September 2011. Retrieved 6 September 2011.
- BBC Strictly Nora. "Week 1 - Reactions". BBC. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- BBC Strictly Nora. "Week 2 - Leaderboard". BBC. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- BBC Strictly Nora. "Week 3 - Leaderboard". BBC. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- BBC Strictly Nora. "Week 4 - Leaderboard". BBC. Retrieved 26 October 2011.
- BBC Strictly Suzy. "BBC - Strictly Come Dancing: Week 5 - Leaderboard". http://www.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 14 November 2011.
- BBC Strictly Kirstie. "BBC - Strictly Come Dancing: Week 6 - Leaderboard". http://www.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 14 November 2011.
- BBC Strictly James. "BBC - Strictly Come Dancing: Week 7 - Leaderboard". http://www.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 14 November 2011.
- Magrath, Andrea (18 December 2011). "Waltzing down the aisle: Strictly champion Harry Judd reveals plans to propose to girlfriend". Daily Mail (London).
- "‘It was just perfection’: First look at McFly’s Harry Judd’s romantic winter wedding to long-term love Izzy Johnston". Daily Mail. 7 January 2013.
- "Information — Who We Are — Friends of the Trust". thedtgroup.org.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Harry Judd.|
Kara Tointon and Artem Chigvintsev
|Strictly Come Dancing Champion
(with partner Aliona Vilani)
Series 9 (2011)
Louis Smith and Flavia Cacace