|Birth name||Harry Edward Styles|
1 February 1994 |
Redditch, Worcestershire, England, United Kingdom
|Genres||Pop, pop rock|
|Associated acts||White Eskimo, One Direction|
Harry Edward Styles (born 1 February 1994) is an English pop singer and actor, known as a member of the boy band One Direction. He made his debut as a singer with his band White Eskimo, who performed locally in Holmes Chapel, Cheshire, England. In 2010, Styles auditioned as a solo artist for the British television series The X Factor. After being eliminated as a solo performer, Styles was brought back into the competition, along with four other contestants, to form the group that would later become known as One Direction.
A native of Holmes Chapel, Styles attended Holmes Chapel Comprehensive School, and also worked part-time at a local bakery. He became interested in singing at a young age, performing at various talent shows, singing competitions and weddings. In addition to singing, Styles has also appeared in television and film, including the Nickelodeon series iCarly and the autobiographical concert film One Direction: This Is Us.
Since joining One Direction, Styles, along with bandmates Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne and Louis Tomlinson, have released three commercially successful albums, performed on a worldwide tour, and won several awards, including two BRIT Awards and four MTV Video Music Awards. Their debut single "What Makes You Beautiful" debuted at number one on the UK Singles Chart, and has since sold over 5 million copies worldwide, making it among one the best-selling singles of all time.
Styles was born in Redditch, Worcestershire. He is the son of Anne Cox (née Selley) and Desmond "Des" Styles. Many of his ancestors were farm labourers in Norfolk. Styles was raised in Holmes Chapel, Cheshire, after his parents moved there along with his older sister, Gemma, when he was a baby. He attended Holmes Chapel Comprehensive School. Styles' parents divorced when he was seven and his mother later remarried. As a sixteen-year-old he worked part-time at the W. Mandeville Bakery in Holmes Chapel.
As a child, Styles loved singing, noting Elvis Presley and The Beatles as his influences. While at Holmes Chapel Comprehensive, Styles was the lead singer for the band White Eskimo, which won a local Battle of the Bands competition.
The X Factor
In 2010, Styles auditioned as a solo candidate for the seventh series of the British televised singing competition The X Factor. He failed to progress to the "Boys" category at "judges' houses." Four others in his age group did as well, but after a suggestion by Nicole Scherzinger, a guest judge, they were put together to form a five-piece boy band at Wembley Arena, in London, England, in July 2010, during the "bootcamp" stage of the competition, thus qualifying for the "Groups" category. Subsequently, the group got together for two weeks to get to know each other and to practice. Styles came up with the name One Direction. For their qualifying song at "judges' houses", and their first song as a group, One Direction sang an acoustic version of "Torn". Simon Cowell later commented that the performance convinced him that the group "were confident, fun, like a gang of friends, and kind of fearless as well." Within the first four weeks of the live shows, they were Cowell's last act in the competition. The group quickly gained popularity in the UK.
One Direction finished in third place and immediately after the final, their song "Forever Young", which would have been released if they had won The X Factor, was leaked onto the internet. Shortly afterwards it was confirmed that One Direction had been signed by Cowell to a reported £2 million Syco Records record contract. Recording for their debut album began in January 2011, as they flew to Los Angeles to work with RedOne, a record producer. A book licensed by One Direction, One Direction: Forever Young (Our Official X Factor Story), was published by HarperCollins in February 2011, subsequently topping The Sunday Times Best Seller list. The same month, the boy band and other contestants from the series participated in the X Factor Live Tour. During the tour the group performed for 500,000 people throughout the UK. After the tour concluded in April 2011, the group continued working on their debut album. Recording took place in Stockholm, London and Los Angeles, as One Direction worked with producers Carl Falk, Savan Kotecha, Steve Mac, and Rami Yacoub, among others. Styles came up with band name One Direction, which he thought would sound good when The X Factor announcer Peter Dickson read their name out on the live shows.
Following The X Factor, One Direction were signed to Simon Cowell's Syco Entertainment in 2010. One Direction released their first studio album, Up All Night, in 2011, followed by their second, Take Me Home, in 2012. One Direction: This Is Us, a documentary about the band directed by Morgan Spurlock, was released in August 2013. The film grossed more than $30 million worldwide its first weekend in theaters. The band's third studio album, Midnight Memories, was released on 25 November 2013.
|2010||The X Factor||Contestant/Himself (series 7)|
|2012||iCarly||Himself (1 episode)|
|2013||One Direction: This Is Us||Himself|
|2011||"Taken"||One Direction||Up All Night||Co-Writer|
|"Everything About You"|
|2012||"Back For You"||Take Me Home|
|"They Don't Know About Us"|
|"Still The One"|
|2013||"Story of My Life"||Midnight Memories|
|2014||"A Little Bit of Your Heart"||Ariana Grande||My Everything|
Awards and nominations
|2012||Capricho Awards||International Male Hottie||Won|
|2013||NME Awards||Villain of the Year||Won|
|2013||MTV Europe Music Awards||Best Look||Won|
|2013||Nickelodeon Australian Kids' Choice Awards||Aussies' Fave Hottie||Nominated|
|2013||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Other: Male Hottie||Won|
|2013||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Other: Smile||Won|
|2013||British Fashion Awards||British Style Award||Won|
|2014||NME Awards||Villain of the Year||Won|
|2014||Nickelodeon Australian Kids' Choice Awards||Aussies' Fave Hottie||Won|
|2014||IHeartRadio Music Awards||Instagram Award||Nominated|
|2014||MTV Italian Music Awards||Best Look||Nominated|
- Jepson, Louisa (2013). Harry Styles - Every Piece of Me. Simon & Schuster. ISBN 9781471128479. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- Oliver, Sarah (2013). Harry Styles and Niall Horan: the Biography - Choose Your Favourite Member. John Blake. ISBN 1782193723. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- Parker, T.K. (2012). What Do You Know About Harry Styles? The Unauthorized Trivia Quiz Game Book. What Do You Know Publications. ISBN 1476941165. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- Des Styles (@des styles) (22 December 2013). "Des Styles, 'Funny stuff.. Bromsgrove Advertiser says H might be born there? He was born in Redditch, we were there just in time!We lived in Evesham. X'".
- "One Direction Interview Milano". YouTube. 2013-12-21. Retrieved 2014-02-02.
- "Harry Styles born in Redditch - confirmed". Redditch Standard. 2014-01-03. Retrieved 2014-02-02.
- "Mums of One Direction stars reveal how the boys have grown into music sensations". Daily Record. Trinity Mirror. 16 April 2012. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Harry Edward Styles – Ancestry.co.uk". Ancestry.com. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- "Styles's grandfather proud of him". Times Of India. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- Longmire, Becca (15 September 2013). "Harry Styles' Mum Anne Twist Has A Blast As She Parties With Denise Welch (PHOTO)". Entertainmentwise. Retrieved 2 February 2014.
- Smith, Richard (2013-09-14). "One Direction's roots revealed: Varied lives of the boys' ancestors from barber to button maker - 3am & Mirror Online". Mirror.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-02-02.
- Liz Thomas. "Beatlemania takes a whole new Direction! Thousands gather in Montreal to catch a glimpse of the band". Daily Mail. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- Belinda Ryan (29 September 2010). "Holmes Chapel X Factor star Harry Styles can win show say school bandmates". Crewe Chronicle (Trinity Mirror). Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- Lewis Panther (24 June 2012). "One Direction star Harry Styles' dad on bond between him and his boy". Daily Record (Trinity Mirror). Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- Kate Simms (17 November 2010). "Harry Styles has got the X Factor in Holmes Chapel". BBC News (BBC). Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "One Direction: Chart stars in their own words". The Sun. News Group Newspapers. 16 September 2011. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "Holmes Chapel X Factor star Harry Styles can win show say school band mates". Crewe Chronicle. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- http://www.thehothits.com/artists/6069/one-direction/bio[dead link]
- Kelly, Kristy (26 July 2011). "Nicole Scherzinger: 'I did Simon Cowell a favour with One Direction'". Digital Spy (UK: Hearst). Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- McMahon, Kate (12 July 2010). "Cheryl Tweedy cancels X Factor Boot Camp and V Festival appearances". The Daily Mirror (Trinity Mirror). Retrieved 12 July 2010.
- Walker, Stan; Stack, Short; Paynter, Michael; Meredith, Amy. "One Direction Biography". The Hot Hits Live from LA (MCM Media). Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "One Direction prepare for Cardiff sell-out shows". South Wales Echo. Media Wales. 13 January 2012. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- "The X Factor 2010: the 12 acts who made it to the Live Shows". STV. SCO, UK. 3 October 2010. Retrieved 4 November 2011.
- Greene, Andy (9 April 2012). "Exclusive Q&A: Simon Cowell on One Direction's Rise to Stardom". Rolling Stone (Jann Wenner). Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- Bull, Sarah (31 October 2010). "X Factor 2010: Flaky Katie Waissel survives by the skin of her teeth as Simon Cowell is down to one act after Belle Amie are voted off". The Daily Mail (London: Associated Newspapers). Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- Heritage, Stuart (12 December 2012). "The X Factor 2010 final results show". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- Cara, Lee (15 December 2010). "Father Xmas Si's three special gifts". The Sun (London: News International). Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- Nissim, Mayer (28 January 2011). "One Direction 'get £2m Syco investment'". Digital Spy (UK: Hearst). Retrieved 23 October 2011.
- Miller, Ed (16 August 2011). "Sony excited about One Direction potential". Music Week (Intent Media). Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- Fletcher, Alex (17 February 2011). "One Direction release autobiography". Digital Spy. UK: Hearst. Retrieved 14 January 2012.
- "One Direction book number one on Sunday Times bestsetller list". Sugarscape (Hachette Filipacchi Médias). 5 April 2011. Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- Freeman, Sophie (19 November 2010). "Now Treyc Cohen snubbed by X Factor for £100,000 tour... but reject Aiden Grimshaw IS invited". The Daily Mail (London: Associated Newspapers). Retrieved 19 November 2010.
- "Tickets for One Direction at HMV Apollo Hammersmith, London, now available from hmvtickets.com". HMV. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- "Up All Night – One Direction". Rovi Corporation. 21 November 2011. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- Up All Night (liner notes). One Direction. Syco Music, Sony Music Entertainment. 2011.
- "1D Pop Quiz: Why Did Harry Suggest the Name One Direction?". Bop and Tiger Beat. 1 May 2012 Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Nicholson, Rebecca. "Also-rans to world's biggest boy band: the rise of One Direction". 17 November 2012. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- One Direction Discography. Allmusic.com. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- Mendelson, Scott. "Weekend Box Office: 'One Direction: This Is Us' And 'The Butler' Dominate Labor Day". 1 September 2013. Retrieved 11 September 2013.[full citation needed]
- "One Direction to Release 'Midnight Memories' Album in November". Billboard.com. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "one direction harry styles and ed sheeran bromance".
- Rainbird, Ashleigh (22 February 2013). ""I lean to the left": Harry Styles reveals his political direction is Labour". Daily Mirror.
- Posy Edwards (2012), Harry Styles Annual 2013, ISBN 1409109445
- Louisa Jepson (2013), Harry Styles - Every Piece of Me, ISBN 1471128490
- Alice Montgomery (2013), Harry Styles: An Unauthorized Biography, ISBN 0718178432
- Mick O'Shea (2013), Harry Styles, ISBN 0859655121
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Harry Styles.|