Harry Wilson (footballer, born 1997)
|Date of birth||22 March 1997|
|Place of birth||Wrexham, Wales|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 16 October 2013 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Harry Wilson (born 22 March 1997) is a Welsh international footballer who plays for Liverpool Under 21/18s as a winger. According to Liverpool's official website, Wilson "has all the hallmarks of typical left winger - bags of pace, a great touch, ability and acceleration with the ball at his feet". He is the youngest player ever to make a senior appearance for the Welsh national team.
Wilson first signed to Liverpool as a member of the U9s squad. Aged 15 he became a full-time member of the Liverpool Academy squad. During the 2012–13 campaign, Wilson featured for the U18s and was a regular face in the U16 side. For the beginning of the 2013-14 season, Wilson was promoted to the U18s full-time. In 2014 Wilson was joint top scorer at the Ajax Future Cup.
Having represented Wales in the Victory Shield and at U17 level and impressing Chris Coleman with his performances, in October 2013, he was called up by the Wales national football team at the age of 16. An unused substitute in a 1-0 victory over Macedonia on 11 October 2013, Wilson made his debut on 15 October 2013 against Belgium, when he came on as a substitute in 87th minute. Upon making this appearance he became the youngest ever player to play for Wales, beating the previous record holder Gareth Bale. He also became Liverpool's youngest ever international at the age of 16 years and 207 days, beating the record previously held by Raheem Sterling who had became the club's youngest international when he represented England for the first time in November 2012 at the age of 17 years and 342 days. He was praised by Wales manager Chris Coleman. It was later revealed that Wilson's maternal grandfather Peter Edwards had netted around £125,000 after placing a £50 bet on Wilson becoming an international footballer, when he was aged just 18 months.
- Harry Wilson – UEFA competition record
- "Wales Under 16 Squad Named for Switzerland. International News". Football Association of Wales. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- "Welsh youngster Harry Wilson signs first professional contract with Liverpool FC". Liverpool Echo. 5 July 2014. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "Seven young Reds sign pro contracts". Liverpool FC. 7 July 2014. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Pearce, James (9 October 2013). "Liverpool FC teenager in surprise Wales international call-up". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- "Wales vs. Macedonia FIFA.com report". FIFA. Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- "Belgium v Wales".
- "Wilson makes history with Wales debut".
- "Harry Wilson: Chris Coleman praises youngest Wales player". BBC Sport. 16 October 2013. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Harry Wilson's grandfather nets £125,000 over Wales debut bet". BBC Sport. 16 October 2013. Retrieved 16 October 2013.