Hart County, Georgia
|Hart County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
Georgia's location in the U.S.
|Founded||December 7, 1853|
|Named for||Nancy Hart|
|• Total||257 sq mi (666 km2)|
|• Land||232 sq mi (601 km2)|
|• Water||25 sq mi (65 km2), 9.6%|
|• Density||108/sq mi (42/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Letters to Miss Celie in the movie The Color Purple (film) by Steven Spielberg, based on the novel The Color Purple by Alice Walker, are addressed to "Hartwell County, Georgia" suggesting that the movie is set either in Hartwell or Hart County.
- Oconee County, South Carolina (north)
- Anderson County, South Carolina (northeast)
- Elbert County (south)
- Madison County (southwest)
- Franklin County (west)
As of the census of 2000, there were 22,997 people, 9,106 households, and 6,610 families residing in the county. The population density was 99 people per square mile (38/km²). There were 11,111 housing units at an average density of 48 per square mile (18/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 79.09% White, 19.36% Black or African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.53% Asian, 0.24% from other races, and 0.63% from two or more races. 0.85% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 9,106 households out of which 29.00% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.80% were married couples living together, 12.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.40% were non-families. 24.40% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.60% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.47 and the average family size was 2.92.
In the county the population was spread out with 23.50% under the age of 18, 7.70% from 18 to 24, 27.30% from 25 to 44, 25.00% from 45 to 64, and 16.50% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 97.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.70 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $32,833, and the median income for a family was $39,600. Males had a median income of $30,652 versus $21,233 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,714. About 12.20% of families and 14.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.10% of those under age 18 and 16.50% of those age 65 or over.
- Lake Hartwell, which is a beautiful lake that covers approximately 56,000 square acres.
- The Scarecrow festival occurs in Hartwell every year during the month of October. This is when the downtown gets "invaded" by scarecrows, which are handmade scarecrows placed in front of local shops and businesses.
- Cateechee is one of the state's finest golf courses. It has 380 acres of land and 18 holes.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved February 16, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Georgia.gov - Hart County info page
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 23, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved June 23, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 23, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 23, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
||Oconee County, South Carolina||Anderson County, South Carolina|
|Madison County||Elbert County|