Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
Harvard Pilgrim is a not-for-profit health plan that provides a variety of insurance plan options and self-funding arrangements to more than one million members in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine. Harvard Pilgrim was founded in 1969 as an integrated managed care system called Harvard Community Health Plan and later merged with Pilgrim Health Care. It is based in Wellesley, Massachusetts.
On January 8, 2010, it was announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) had awarded Harvard Pilgrim a contract to develop a pilot of Sentinel, a planned national electronic system that will transform FDA’s ability to track the safety of drugs, biologics and medical devices.
Awards and recognition
- “America’s Best Health Plan” (2004–2013)
- Featured in U.S. News & World Report special issue on the nation’s best health plans (2005–2008)
- Highest satisfaction in Northeast region and highest overall customer satisfaction scores in the nation by J.D. Power & Associates (2007)
- Charlie Baker, former CEO and Republican candidate for Governor of Massachusetts in 2010 and 2014
- Eric H. Schultz, CEO and President of Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Inc.
- Michael S Sherman, MD, MBA, MS, Chief Medical Officer
- Rick Weisblatt, PhD, Senior Vice President Network and Product Development
- Vin Capozzi, Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing
- Deborah Norton, Chief Information Officer
- Faculty of Medicine Memorial Minute: Robert Higgins Ebert
- FDA Awards Contract to Harvard Pilgrim to Develop Pilot for Safety Monitoring System
- Source: U.S. News & World Report/National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) annual ranking of health plan performance on clinical effectiveness and member satisfaction. The list is drawn from measures of prevention, treatment and customer experience. These measures are compiled in NCQA’s Quality Compass 2008, which publicly reports comparative results of more than 525 health plan products covering more than 91 million Americans.
- http://www.harvardpilgrim.org – Official site