||This article may be an autobiography or has been extensively edited by the subject or an institution related to the subject. (March 2010)|
December 10, 1952 |
Long Beach, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Pastor, Harvest Christian Fellowship, Riverside, CA|
|Employer||Greg Laurie Ministries|
|Title||Senior Pastor, CEO|
|Children||2 sons, Christopher (died 2008), Jonathan|
Greg Laurie (born December 10, 1952) serves as the Senior Pastor of Harvest Christian Fellowship in Riverside, California and Harvest Orange County in Irvine, California. Laurie is an award-winning author, evangelist, and public speaker.
Laurie, who was born in Long Beach, California, became a Christian in 1970. At the age of 19, under the ministry of Calvary Chapel Pastor Chuck Smith, he was given the opportunity to lead a Bible study of 30 people. The church that formed from this group, Harvest Christian Fellowship, has grown to become one of the largest churches in the United States. In 2013, Harvest Christian Fellowshipp celebrated its 40th anniversary. The church has four satellite campuses (Irvine, Woodcrest, Eastvale, and South Corona--all in California) with a congregation of some 15,000 people, and also houses more than 80 ministries.
Laurie holds two honorary doctorates from Biola University and Azusa Pacific University. He serves on the board of directors for the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association In 2013, Laurie served as the Honorary Chairman of the National Day of Prayer Task Force.
Publishing and media
Laurie has written more than 70 books, including The Upside-Down Church (1999, co-authored with David Kopp): this book won a Gold Medallion Book Award in the "Christian ministry' category in 2000. Laurie has written study notes for The New Believer's Bible and The Seeker's Bible. He also wrote the notes for the Start! Bible in the New King James Version, published by Thomas Nelson.
His autobiographical documentary film, Lost Boy: The Next Chapter, has won eight awards at International film festivals in the best documentary category. In 2013, Laurie completed a new film, Hope for Hurting Hearts that features his story of coming through tragedy.
Host of the syndicated radio program A New Beginning, Laurie has appeared on ABC World News Tonight, Fox News, MSNBC, and CNN. He is also a guest commentator at Worldnetdaily.com and appears regularly in a weekly television program called GregLaurie.tv on the Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN).
Laurie is a speaker for public evangelistic events called Harvest Crusades, founded in 1990. They are large-scale evangelistic outreach projects which local churches organize nationally and internationally. It has been estimated that more than 4.7 million people have attended[update] Harvest Crusades in California, Chicago, Seattle, Oregon, Philadelphia, New York, Hawaii, Florida, North Carolina, New Zealand and Australia. In 2012, Harvest Crusades launched Harvest America a nationwide simulcast from one location to about 2,400 venues. About 37,000 people attended the live event in Anaheim, California and more than 270,000 people was watched live, making it one of the largest Christian outreach events in U.S. history.
Laurie resides in Newport Beach with his wife of 39 years, Cathe (Catherine). They have two sons, Christopher (1975–2008) and Jonathan (1986). They also have five grandchildren. On July 24, 2008 his son Christopher was killed in a traffic crash.
- The Seeker's Bible : New Testament : New Living Translation. Wheaton, Ill: Tyndale House Publishers. 2000. ISBN 0-8423-3928-0.
- Every Day with Jesus : First Steps for New Believers. Wheaton, Ill: Tyndale House Publishers. 2004. ISBN 1-4143-0075-1.
- Losers and Winners, Saints and Sinners : How to Finish Strong in the Spiritual Race. New York: Warner Faith. 2005. ISBN 0-446-50015-1.
- Wrestling with God. S.l: Multnomah Pub. 2006. ISBN 1-59052-894-8.
- Let God Change Your Life: How to Know and Follow Jesus. U.K.: David C. Cook. 2011. ISBN 987-1-4347-0207-4 Check
- "Top 100 Largest Churches (2008)". Outreach Magazine 2008. Retrieved 2010-08-03. or "The 2010 Outreach 100 Listings of America's Largest and Fastest-Growing Churches". Outreach Magazine / LifeWay Research. Retrieved 2011-01-16.
- christianpost.com.  Greg Laurie, Harvest to Celebrate 40 Years of 'Knowing God and Making Him Known'
- Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. 2006 Annual Report, p. 18
- Evangelical Christian Publishers Association 2000 Gold Medallion Book Awards Winners
- "Oneplace.com". Retrieved 2012-04-10.
- "GregLaurie.tv on TBN". Retrieved 2012-04-10.
- "US pastor to reap NZ crop". stuff.co.nz. 2011 [last update]. Retrieved 19 June 2011.
- "Greg Laurie Seeks Churches, Venues to Host Harvest America Event". christianpost.com. 2012. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- "christianpost.com". Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Greg Laurie
- Greg Laurie - Christian Comics Pioneer
- Article: Harvest America: Christians Celebrate Changed Lives at History-Making Event
- Harvest Crusades: New app for nationwide event