Sheriff's office building, Harvey
|Elevation||3 ft (0.9 m)|
|Area||7.0 sq mi (18.1 km2)|
|- land||6.7 sq mi (17 km2)|
|- water||0.3 sq mi (1 km2), 4.29%|
|Density||3,329.7 / sq mi (1,285.6 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Harvey is a census-designated place (CDP) in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, United States. Harvey is on the West Bank of the Mississippi River, within the New Orleans–Metairie–Kenner Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 22,226 at the 2000 census.
Harvey is located at
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 7.0 square miles (18 km2), of which, 6.7 square miles (17 km2) of it is land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2) of it (5.11%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 22,226 people, 7,878 households, and 5,806 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 3,329.7 people per square mile (1,284.7/km²). There were 8,601 housing units at an average density of 1,288.5 per square mile (497.1/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 48.12% White, 42.45% African American, 0.51% Native American, 5.24% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 2.04% from other races, and 1.62% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.34% of the population.
There were 7,878 households out of which 38.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.8% were married couples living together, 21.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.3% were non-families. 21.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.79 and the average family size was 3.25.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 29.4% under the age of 18, 10.3% from 18 to 24, 30.3% from 25 to 44, 21.6% from 45 to 64, and 8.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 91.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.7 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $30,010, and the median income for a family was $34,221. Males had a median income of $31,961 versus $21,650 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $14,885. About 21.2% of families and 23.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 37.2% of those under age 18 and 14.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Helen Cox High School
- West Jefferson High School
- Woodmere Elementary School
- Woodland West Elementary School
- Ella C. Pittman Elementary School
- Harvey Kindergarten Center
- St. Ville Academy for High School Preparation
- Homedale School
- St Rosalie Elementary School
Jefferson Parish Library operates the Jane O'Brien Chatelain West Bank Regional Library in Harvey. The 35,000-square-foot (3,300 m2) facility opened in 1990 and is the largest public library in the West Bank of Jefferson Parish.
- "Representative Patrick Connick". pledgeyourvote.net. Retrieved September 21, 2011.
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790-2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Home page. Jefferson Parish Public Schools. Retrieved on December 23, 2009.
- "Harvey CDP, Louisiana." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on December 23, 2009.
- Waller, Mark. "Group of schools shuts down as Jefferson Parish adjourns for the summer." The Times-Picayune. May 25, 2012. Retrieved on April 4, 2013.
- Waller, Mark. "Parents speak out to defend Homedale Elementary in Harvey from closure." The Times-Picayune. May 2, 2012. Retrieved on April 4, 2013.
- "Jane O'Brien Chatelain West Bank Regional Library." Jefferson Parish Library. Retrieved on September 29, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Harvey, Louisiana|