Harvey Milk (band)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008)|
|Origin||Athens, Georgia, United States|
|Years active||1992—1998, 2006—present|
|Labels||Self Rising, Relapse, Reproductive, Tumult, Hydra Head|
Harvey Milk are an American experimental rock/noise rock band that formed in Athens, Georgia in the early 1990s. While Harvey Milk invariably draws comparisons to the Melvins, due to their penchant for slow, heavy riffs, the band has touched upon such artists as ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, Leonard Cohen, and Kiss as influences in their music. They even went so far as to perform a live show consisting of nothing but Hank Williams covers. One April Fool's Day gig at the 40 Watt in Athens, they performed R.E.M.'s Reckoning from beginning to end while Michael Stipe was in attendance.
|This section requires expansion with: June 2009. (December 2009)|
Harvey Milk formed in 1992 in Athens, Georgia., naming themselves after Harvey Milk, the first openly gay politician elected in a major U.S. city. Originally a trio, of Creston Spiers, Stephen Tanner, and Paul Trudeau, the band released one album, My Love Is Higher Than Your Assessment of What My Love Could Be, before Trudeau left in 1996. They disbanded in 1998, and reformed in 2006.
On June 3, 2008, Harvey Milk released Life... The Best Game In Town. The band toured the eastern and southern US as well as Germany, England, Belgium, France and Scotland during the Summer of 2008.
- My Love Is Higher Than Your Assessment of What My Love Could Be (1994, CD on Yesha/Reissue CD on Relapse 2007)
- Courtesy and Good Will Toward Men (1996, LP on Reproductive, CD on Tumult Records/Reissue CD on Relapse 2007/Reissue LP on Chunklet 2008 (Reissue used original sleeves, but vinyl was pressed on 180 gram audiophile vinyl))
- The Pleaser (1997, CD on Reproductive/Reissue CD on Relapse 2007/LP on Chunklet 2008)
- Special Wishes (2006, LP & CD on Megablade Records)
- Life... The Best Game In Town (2008, CD / 2009, LP on Hydrahead)
- S/T - The Bob Weston Sessions (2009, 300 LP Limited Run on Hydra Head for summer tour with Torche /2010 Remastered CD on Hydrahead)
- Live at Supersonic (2010, LP on Capsule)
- A Small Turn of Human Kindness (2010, CD on Hydrahead)
- I Do Not Know How To Live My Life (7" 1995)
- I've Got A Love (7" 2006)
- Hayride/Harvey Milk: F*#k You Guys (7" 2006)
- Harvey Milk/Wildildlife: In The Ground/Stormbringer (7" 2009)
- Anthem (CD+DVD 2006, 2xDVD 2009)