Harvey Spencer Lewis
Harvey Spencer Lewis F.R.C., S:::I:::I:::, 33°66°95°, PhD (November 25, 1883 – August 2, 1939), a noted Rosicrucian author, occultist, and mystic, was the founder in USA and the first Imperator of Ancient Mystical Order Rosae Crucis (AMORC), from 1915 until 1939.
Life and career
Lewis was born in Frenchtown, New Jersey. He worked in advertising as an illustrator (the modern term commercial artist best describes his line of work), and he used this experience later to promote the early AMORC, through print ads and booklets. Lewis first learned of the Rosicrucians through his interest in paranormal phenomena. Contacted while on a trip to Europe, he later related that he was initiated into a Rosicrucian order during that trip.
Given the mission to both bring Rosicrucian ideas back to America (an early group had a settlement in Pennsylvania during the 17th century, but it had long been dissolved), and to promote them in a modern way, Lewis established AMORC, becoming its first Imperator and writing what became the order's first canon of lessons in mysticism, and spending the rest of his life working on AMORC's behalf. Lewis also founded the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum, still a popular attraction in San Jose, California.
In the past Lewis had a radio station broadcasting from Rosicrucian Park, and he was also speaking at other radio stations. One of his programs was called "The Pristine Church", appearing on Sundays, with sermon-style talks on interfaith and secular topics.
Lewis was also one of the three Imperators of FUDOSI, and his nomen mysticum was Sar Alden. He held a number of earned and honorary ordinations, titles and degrees, many granted in recognition of his goodwill work. His son Ralph Maxwell Lewis became the second Imperator of AMORC, and wrote a biography of his father titled Cosmic Mission Fulfilled.
The Luxatone or Color Organ was a device which converted audio signals into colours, displayed on a triangular screen. Dr. Lewis used it to demonstrate mystical and philosophical ideas. The audio signal was input with the aid of a microphone.
A booklet titled "The Story of Luxatone – The Master Color Organ" was printed and sent to AMORC members and to newspapers.
Cosmic Ray Coincidence Counter
This device was a prototype of a Geiger counter and was built in the 1930s.
Sympathetic Vibration Harp
The Sympathetic Vibration Harp was built by Dr. Lewis to demonstrate the AMORC's principle of sympathetic vibration.
In addition to his other works, on June 22, 1916 Lewis hosted what was announced as a "transmutation" of zinc into gold – a demonstration of classic alchemical principles, in New York City. A team of AMORC Grand Masters, members, one scientist and one journalist assembled, a chosen few bringing selected ingredients, which were then mixed in a brief procedure. The scientist declared the results to have the "properties of gold", and an account appeared in the American Rosae Crucis. (The ingredients for the gold recipe were not revealed; Rosicrucian Questions and Answers explained that while the necessary materials weren't hard to obtain, transmutation wasn't cost-effective; buying elemental gold was more sensible.)
- Rosicrucian Principles for the Home and Business (March 1929)
- Explains portions of Rosicrucian teachings and philosophy as related to work and personal goals.
- Rosicrucian Questions and Answers with Complete History of the Order
- A two-part book: Part One gives the "traditional" history of the Rosicrucian Order, with names and works; Part Two answers common new member and prospective member questions.
- The Mystical Life of Jesus
- The Secret Doctrines of Jesus
- An explanation of many symbols, standards, and interpretations of the work of Jesus and the Twelve Apostles.
- A Thousand Years of Yesterdays
- A fictional story, explaining reincarnation as a man re-experiences past selves.
- Self Mastery and Fate with the Cycles of Life
- Rosicrucian Manual (1918, 1929 with reissues)
- Mansions of the Soul: The Cosmic Conception
- The Symbolic Prophecy of the Great Pyramid
- Mental Poisoning
Other AMORC Imperators
- Note 1: F.R.C. is a Rosicrucian title.
- Note 2: S:::I:::I::: is a Martinist title.
- Note 3: 33°66°95° are degrees given to him by the Rite of Memphis-Misraïm
- Note 4: XII° on his burial marker means he was a 12th degree Rosicrucian
- Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum & Planetarium at www.egyptianmuseum.org
- RC Salon – Mysterious Inventions of Dr. Lewis at www.rosicrucians.org
- Alchemy Journal Vol.4 No.1 at www.alchemylab.com
- Rosicrucian Order AMORC at www.rosicrucian.org
- Kessinger Publishing – Rare Reprints of Hard to Find Books at www.kessinger.net
- The Mysterious Inventions of Dr. Lewis
- Harvey Spencer Lewis in a San Francisco Buddhist Temple – 1929
- Black mirrors
- Information from the Religious Movements Homepage Project of the University of Virginia
- FUDOESI Document from AMORC Netherlands Website which lists the mystical credentials of Harvey Spencer Lewis (F.R.C., S.·.I.·., 33°66°95°)
- Self Mastery and Fate with the Cycles of Life iPhone Application
- Aum Om Amen Article by Harvey Spencer Lewis