|IBA Official Cocktail|
|Primary alcohol by volume|
|Served||On the rocks; poured over ice|
|Standard drinkware||Highball glass|
|IBA specified ingredients*|
|Preparation||Stir the vodka and orange juice with ice in the glass, then float the Galliano on top. Garnish and serve.|
The Harvey Wallbanger appears in literature as early as 1971. The cocktail is reported to have been invented in 1952 by three-time world champion mixologist Donato "Duke" Antone (Paolantonio). The Harvey Wallbanger's popularity is largely a result of the promotional efforts of George Bednar, a former football player and Galliano sales manager based in California. The drink purportedly was named after a Manhattan Beach surfer who was a regular patron of Duke's Blackwatch Bar on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood during the early 1950s.
- The 1982 Milwaukee Brewers, winners of the American League pennant, were nicknamed "Harvey's Wallbangers," because of the team's power hitting (wall banging) under mid-season manager Harvey Kuenn. After a mediocre 23–24 start to the season, manager Buck Rodgers was fired. Under Kuenn, the team went 72–43 (.626), led the Major Leagues in home runs and total bases, and produced the highest team OPS+ since the 1931 New York Yankees.
- The SAS sometimes referred to C4 explosive charges as "Harvey Wall-bangers."
- Harvey Wallbanger is sometimes used to refer to the Wall Follower maze solving algorithm.
- Harvey Wallbanger was the puppet character who ran the "dead-letter" post office on the Canadian children's show, The Hilarious House of Frightenstein.
- The Character Sven from "Class of 77" gets constantly drunk due to his love of Harvey Wallbangers.
- In CB lingo, a Harvey Wallbanger is a drunk driver; specifically, one who continually drifts across the road from one shoulder to the other and back.
- Commercial prints and labels: Volumes 21-26 by Library of Congress. Copyright Office in 1971
- "Harvey Wallbanger is taking Bloody Mary's place at brunch; try a drink with Galliano." Sports illustrated, p. 9 (May 31, 1971).
- Lacy, J (1967) 'Mixologist Face the World with Confidence' The Hartford Courant; Hartford CT
- Willis, J.C. (1973) Here's Practical Guide to Mixing Drinks: Hartford Times: Hartford Connecticut
- Ryan, B. (1972) 'An Engaging Class Knows the Latest in Libation' The Hartford Times: Hartford CT
- Linsley, C. (1972)'25 Years of New Bartenders' Hartford Times: Hartford CT.
- Harvey Wallbanger Cocktail Recipe