Harwich and North Essex (UK Parliament constituency)
|Harwich and North Essex|
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of Harwich and North Essex in Essex.
Location of Essex within England.
|Electorate||71,087 (December 2010)|
|Member of Parliament||Bernard Jenkin (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Harwich, North Essex|
|European Parliament constituency||East of England|
- From Colchester, the wards of Dedham and Langham, East Donyland, Fordham and Stour, Great Tey, Pyefleet, West Bergholt and Eight Ash Green, West Mersea, Wivenhoe Cross and Wivenhoe Quay.
- From Tendring, the wards of Alresford, Ardleigh and Little Bromley, Bradfield, Essex, Wrabness and Wix, Brightlingsea, Great and Little Oakley, Great Bentley, Harwich East, Harwich East Central, Harwich West, Harwich West Central, Lawford, Manningtree, Mistley, Little Bentley and Tendring, Ramsey and Parkeston, Thorrington, Frating, Elmstead (Elmstead Market) and Great Bromley.
The constituency maintains a strong maritime connection, containing the eponymous port and town of Harwich which offers regular ferry services to the Hook of Holland (Hoek van Holland) as well as having one of the largest container ports in Britain. Deprivation in terms of low income and unemployment exists in the Dovercourt, Parkeston and station neighbourhoods of Harwich itself and south of Brightlingsea whereas the other villages and towns (down to localised Output Areas of a few hundred homes) fall above the national average on the same measures.
Following the Boundary Commission for England's review of parliamentary representation in Essex prior to the 2010 election, much of the existing North Essex constituency was combined with part of the existing Harwich constituency, with the remainder of the Harwich seat renamed as the new Clacton.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2010: Harwich and North Essex|
|Liberal Democrat||James Raven||11,554||23.6||+4.3|
|Independent||Peter Thompson Bates||170||0.3||+0.3|
- * Served as an MP in the 2005–2010 Parliament
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- 2001 Census
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "H" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "BBC NEWS – Election 2010 – Harwich & Essex North". BBC News.
|This article relating to a constituency of the Parliament of the United Kingdom or its predecessors is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|