|HASB E HAAL
The opening title screen for Hasb-e-Haal
|Written by||Talha Ahmad Farooqui|
|Country of origin||Pakistan|
|Original channel||Dunya TV|
Having the honour of being the most watched program in Pakistan, Hasb-e-Haal is a political and social satire. Sohail Ahmed appears on Hasb-e-Haal as Azizi, while the rest of the crew Junaid Saleem and Najia are playing themselves. It is an effort to raise the voice of sanity over the apparent apathy in the society. He mocks the flagrant disregard for law, lack of policy architecture by the government and equally blatant lack of incentive from the civil society to change the existing flawed system. The popularity of the show is understandable in a society which has lost its relevance and looks at reality through half open means of expression.
There are different segments such as:
- Bait Baazi
- Hasb e Mazzi
- Hasb e Daak
- Khabron par Tabsara
- Tasweeron aur videos par tabsara
- Off-Beat Hasb-e-Haal
- Siasi Film
- Tu Tu Main Main
Sohail Ahmed usually dresses up like politicians, cricketers or other celebrities and imitates them. This imitation mostly is in the form of a parody. In addition to parodies, Ahmed also plays other characters.
- Feeqa, portrayed by Sohail Ahmed, belongs to a white-collar family which has trouble making ends meet. The character sheds light on the plight of the lower class of Pakistan. Usual topics discussed are relatives' weddings, rituals, etc.
- PQN, short for Pervaiz Qaiser Naseer, is a corrupt politician, who would do anything to come into power. Usual topics discussed are elections, processions, etc.
- Deemah is an ordinary man who perpetually sick with multiple diseases.
- A fashion designer, who keeps heaping praises on his talent. He is a modern fashion designer with gay's type attitude.
- Witchcraft & Aalim Baba
- Sohail Ahmed plays a spurious "Aalim" who, according to his rants, is the master of witches and spirits.
- Master Majeed
- A teacher.
- Abdul Ghafoor Jimmy
- A Pakistani who lives abroad and is concerned about the security situation of Pakistan.
- Azizi's Investigation News
- Azizi presents a parody news program which investigates secrets and misdeeds of politicians.
- Mr. Michael
- This character is an American agent who overuses the catchphrase "kadu saday paise"(give back our money). This satirical character denigrates the Pakistani society for asking for American money despite thinking of America as an enemy.
- A die-hard supporter of a fictional politician, Changezi.
- Sureelay Khan
- A classical singer, often accompanied by Dabbay Khan and Hamnawa
- Policeman (SHO)
- The role of SHO parodies problems and issues affecting police forces, especially corruptions.
- Petrol station attendant
- Azizi takes on the disguise of a local petrol station attendant to highlight the problems with the trade.
- Raja Riaz
- Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain
- Shahi Syed
- Shah Mehmood Qureshi
- Maulana FazlurRehman
- Firdous Ashiq Awan
- Javed Hashmi
- Mir Hazar Khan Khoso
- Jahangir Badar
- Yousaf Raza Gillani
- Asfandyar Wali Khan
- Sheikh Rasheed
Azizi's fictitious friends
The following are mentioned by Azizi as his friends:
- Aroo Grenade
- Naeema Kainchi
- Tufail Thaila
- Unaid Daal Chawal
- Aslam Churra
Hasb-e-Haal was launched in January 2009. Its idea basically comes from old shows Jamhoor Di Awaaz and Nizam Din Di Baithak. Aftab Iqbal used to host the show at that time. The show was an instant hit. In April 2010, Iqbal left the show due to undisclosed reasons which led to Junaid Saleem hosting the show.
Due to the popularity of the show, several similar shows emerged. These include Khabarnaak on Geo TV, 3 Idiots on Aaj TV, Masti Gate on ARY News and News Night on Din News. Except Khabarnaak, all other shows have been canceled due to lack of viewership.