Mohammed Hashim Watanwal
|Died||July 17, 2011
|Occupation||Wolesi Jirga representative|
According to the Afghan Biographies profile, during the communist era he was Deputy Minister of Internal Affairs. According to the profile, he is from the Tajik ethnic group, and graduated from Kabul University with a science degree.
Post Taliban era political career
In 2007, Watanwal hosted a press conference to draw attention to security concerns in Uruzgan. He asserted that "anti-government elements" controlled all of Gizab district and "vast swathes" of Char Chino, Dehrawod, Chora and Khas Uruzgan. Watanwal attributed the rise of militancy in Uruzgan to ISAF's reckless disregard for civilian lives.
- Joshua Foust (2007-05-14). "It Isn’t At All Clear". Registan. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
For example, Hasham Watanwal, the representative of Uruzgan province in the Wolesi Jirga, claims his province is 90% under Taliban control. He blames this on—you guessed it—underinvestment, underdevelopment, and a sloppy western military.mirror
- "Karzai Aide Assassins Had Contacts with Pakistan: Interior Minister". Tolo News. 2011-07-19. Retrieved 2011-07-19. mirror
- "Afghan Biographies: Mohammed Hasham Watanwal". Afghan Biographies. 2010. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- "Senior Karzai aide killed in Kabul attack". Al Jazeera. 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2011-07-20. mirror
- "2005 Uruzgan Wolesi Jirga Results by Ballot Order". Joint Electoral Management Body. Retrieved 2011-07-19. mirror
- "Uruzgan 2010 Wolesi Jirga Elections". National Democratic Institute. Retrieved 2011-07-19. mirror
- "MPs, police at odds over security situation in Uruzgan". Online News. 2007. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
Speaking at a press conference, Wolesi Jirga member from Uruzgan Muhammad Hashim Watanwal claimed anti-government elements were in control of Gizab district of the province.mirror
- "Militants recruiting youths in Uruzgan: MP". Pajhwok Afghan News. 2007-07-30. Retrieved 2010-10-.
The youngsters were turning to Taliban, the legislator charged, because of imprecise airstrikes by foreign forces that caused civilian casualties and fuelled public anger.Check date values in:
- "Legislative Newsletter" (PDF). USAID. 2011-03-18. Retrieved 2011-07-19. mirror
- "Deputy-Speaker of Wolesi Jirga meets with Australian Parliamentary Delegation.". Wolesi Jirga. 2011-05-18.
The meeting was attended by Fawzia Kofi, the Chairwoman of Women Affairs Commission and Mohammad Hashim Watanwal- the deputy of Defense Affairs Commission.mirror