Hastings Country Park
|Hastings Country Park|
|Location||Hastings, East Sussex, England|
|Area||660 acres (2.67 km2)|
|Created||1974 or earlier|
|Operated by||Friends of Hastings Country Park|
|Open||7 days a week, dawn until dusk|
|Status||Open all year|
Hastings Country Park was formed in 1974 and covers 660 acres (2.67 km2) east of Hastings in England. Sandstone cliffs, glens covered with gorse and trees, footpaths, nature trails, picnic areas and ample car parking are some of the features at the country park. Set in the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, most of the park has been designated a Special Area of Conservation. It is a Site of Special Scientific Interest called Hastings Cliffs to Pett Beach and a Local Nature Reserve as Hastings Country Park & Fairlight Place Farm.
The park supported considerable human activity in prehistoric times. Archaeological finds and landmarks date from Palaeolithic, Mesolithic, Neolithic, Bronze Age, Iron Age, Romano-British, Saxon, Medieval, post-Medieval, Victorian to World War II periods.
A large majority of the park has been identified as an Area of Archaeological Interest, within which, a large area of the East Hill is a designated Ancient Monument.
Many rare and scarce liverworts, mosses and lichens occur within the gills. Peregrines, black redstarts and fulmars breed on the cliffs. Dartford warblers, stonechats and yellowhammers breed on the gorse covered hillsides. Many migrants pass through the site in spring and autumn and usually includes a few rarities such as Sardinian warbler, red-rumped swallow, and pallas's warbler which have all occurred in recent years.
- "Hastings Country Park Nature Reserve". Friends of Hastings Country Park.
- "Hastings Cliffs To Pett Beach citation". Sites of Special Scientific Interest. Natural England.
- "Map of Hastings Cliffs To Pett Beach". Sites of Special Scientific Interest. Natural England.
- "Hastings Country Park & Fairlight Place Farm". Local Nature Reserves. Natural England.
- "Map of Hastings Country Park". Local Nature Reserves. Natural England.