Hat Creek, California
|• Total||50.184 sq mi (129.975 km2)|
|• Land||50.013 sq mi (129.533 km2)|
|• Water||0.171 sq mi (0.443 km2) 0.34%|
|Elevation||3,422 ft (1,043 m)|
|• Density||6.2/sq mi (2.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||2583033|
|U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Hat Creek, California|
Hat Creek is a census-designated place (CDP) in Shasta County, California. Hat Creek sits at an elevation of 3,422 feet (1,043 m). The 2010 United States census reported Hat Creek's population was 309.
Hat Creek is located 26 miles (42 km) north of Lassen Park, 13 miles (21 km) southeast of Burney (9 miles (14 km) south of the junction of hwy 89 and 299), and 15 miles (24 km) south of Burney Falls. Its zip code is 96040. Wired telephone numbers are from the Burney central office and follow the pattern 530-335-xxxx. Hat Creek is home to the Hat Creek Radio Observatory, run by SRI International.
The town's main economies are tourism, fishing, camping, and lodging. It's still a travel hot spot in Shasta County, although it's about 70 miles (110 km) east of Redding, CA and about the same to Susanville, CA.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP covers an area of 50.2 square miles (130.0 km²), 99.66% of it land and 0.34% of it water.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Hat Creek had a population of 309. The population density was 6.2 people per square mile (2.4/km²). The racial makeup of Hat Creek was 239 (77.3%) White, 4 (1.3%) African American, 45 (14.6%) Native American, 2 (0.6%) Asian, 4 (1.3%) Pacific Islander, 9 (2.9%) from other races, and 6 (1.9%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 20 persons (6.5%).
The Census reported that 301 people (97.4% of the population) lived in households, 8 (2.6%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 133 households, out of which 31 (23.3%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 75 (56.4%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 11 (8.3%) had a female householder with no husband present, 3 (2.3%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 6 (4.5%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 1 (0.8%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 38 households (28.6%) were made up of individuals and 17 (12.8%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.26. There were 89 families (66.9% of all households); the average family size was 2.79.
The population was spread out with 59 people (19.1%) under the age of 18, 21 people (6.8%) aged 18 to 24, 55 people (17.8%) aged 25 to 44, 110 people (35.6%) aged 45 to 64, and 64 people (20.7%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 51.9 years. For every 100 females there were 96.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.9 males.
There were 194 housing units at an average density of 3.9 per square mile (1.5/km²), of which 93 (69.9%) were owner-occupied, and 40 (30.1%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 3.1%; the rental vacancy rate was 6.8%. 199 people (64.4% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 102 people (33.0%) lived in rental housing units.
- U.S. Census
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Hat Creek, California
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- "California's 1st Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 1, 2013.