Cover of Hataraki Man manga volume 1
|Genre||Drama, Slice of life|
|Written by||Moyoco Anno|
|Original run||March 2004 – ongoing|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Katsumi Ono|
|Music by||Yugo Kanno|
|Network||Fuji TV (Noitamina), Animax
Kansai TV, Tōkai TV
|Original run||12 October 2006 – 21 December 2006|
|Directed by||Nagumo Seichi
|Original run||October 2007 – December 2007|
Hataraki Man (働きマン?) is a manga by Moyoco Anno, serialised in the seinen magazine Morning. It has been adapted into an anime television series, which screened in Japan from October to December 2006 and a drama that aired from October 2007 to December 2007. The story centres on 28-year-old Hiroko Matsukata, editor at the magazine Weekly JIDAI (週刊「JIDΑI」 Shūkan JIDAI?). Talented and hard-working, Hiroko's colleagues refer to her as Hataraki Man (literally "working man") because of her dedication to her job. But despite her successes in the workplace, she struggles with moments of self-doubt and with the challenge of balancing life and career.
Hiroko Matsukata is a woman who works for a magazine company. She puts all she has into her work, and is known as a strong, straightforward working girl, who can at will turn herself into Hataraki man (working man) mode. Despite Hiroko's success at work, her life lacks romance. Even though a hard worker, she'd leave early anytime to go on a date. Too bad her boyfriend is even a bigger workaholic than Hiroko.
- Hiroko Matsukata (松方弘子 Matsukata Hiroko?)
- Age 28. Editor at Weekly JIDAI.
- Hiroko is a woman dedicated to her job. She will put her entire life on hold (becoming the "Hataraki Man") in order to get her story written to a self-imposed, very high standard of perfection. Her ultimate goal is to own and publish her own magazine.
- Voiced by: Rie Tanaka
- Maiko Kaji (梶舞子 Kaji Maiko?)
- Age 31. Editor at Weekly JIDAI.
- Maiko is an elegant woman who is revered (and very nearly worshiped) by the men at JIDAI. She is typically very silent and somewhat aloof, but she does get her job done (even if she ignores more of the rules of etiquette of such things).
- Voiced by: Atsuko Tanaka
- Akihisa Kobayashi (小林明久 Kobayashi Akihisa?)
- Age 29. Editor at Weekly JIDAI.
- Akihisa is a mild-mannered reporter in charge of the "food and porn" section of JIDAI. He and Hiroko started working at the magazine around the same time. There is a connection between, though whether this is from similar work ethic, starting their jobs at the same time, or the fact that they are drinking buddies (always initiated by Hiroko) is up for debate.
- Voiced by: Yuji Ueda
- Mayu Nagisa (渚マユ Nagisa Mayu?)
- Age 23. Editor at Weekly JIDAI.
- Mayu's main goal in life is to write a work of fiction with her favorite author. She is a bit of a flake within the world of JIDAI and is often reprimanded for that fact. She is one of Hiroko's closest office friends.
- Voiced by: Misato Fukuen
- Kimio Narita (成田君男 Narita Kimio?)
- Age 39. Desk editor at Weekly JIDAI; Hiroko's boss.
- Narita is the more active boss in the editing department, much to the dismay of the chief editor, Tatsuhiko (though he does not act offended but on occasion.) Narita is a man who knows when to be the boss and when to be the encouraging friend. While he is usually shown as being an amiable man who wants to help the other employees, he is not above yelling at the others to make sure they get their best work done and before deadline. It is never said explicitly one way or another where his sexual preference ultimately lies; but it is mentioned that Narita "doesn't like women".
- Voiced by: Kenyū Horiuchi
- Yumi Nogawa (野川由実 Nogawa Yumi?)
- Age 26. Sports editor at Weekly JIDAI.
- Yumi, one of the four women actually seen working within JIDAI, is almost the complete opposite of Hiroko, if only in their approach to working within a "man's world". Yumi chose to embrace her "womanly" side instead of trying to run with the men. She is engaged to an unnamed man, though there are hints that her fiancé was the former boyfriend of coworker Maiko Kaji.
- Voiced by: Rumi Shishido
- Fumiya Sugawara (菅原文哉 Sugawara Fumiya?)
- Age 32. Editor at Weekly JIDAI.
- Sugawara is more a paparazzo than a traditional reporter. He hunts down high scandal stories and then stakes them out to get the perfect picture. Unexpectedly, he has an inner calm that is expressed through his pleasure of sky photography; however, to the outside world he is a gruff man with a bit of a mean streak.
- Voiced by: Kazuya Nakai
- Kunio Tanaka (田中邦男 Tanaka Kunio?)
- Age 22. Rookie editor at Weekly JIDAI.
- Kunio is a man who feels that one's life should not be wasted completely on working. He gets his job done but, unlike Hiroko, he does not feel that one should devote their whole life to just work. While there are several people who clash with Hiroko throughout the series, Kunio is probably one of those that repeats the most, if only for their complete difference in work ethic.
- Voiced by: Makoto Homura
- Tatsuhiko Umemiya (梅宮龍彦 Umemiya Tatsuhiko?)
- Age 45. Chief editor at Weekly JIDAI.
- As the senior editor within the department, Tatsuhiko does not seem to do a whole lot. He is a rather laid back man and is often accused of being sexist towards the female characters (though whether that is true, especially compared to other male characters in the series, is debatable). While he is very susceptible to flattery, Tatsuhiko also has his serious moments. There is a reason why he is the boss and when the stakes are raised, he is willing to step up and take responsibility.
- Voiced by: Tomomichi Nishimura
- Shinji Yamashiro (山城新二 Yamashiro Shinji?)
- Age 28. Hiroko's boyfriend.
- Like Hiroko, Shinji works long hours. He also frequently travels on business, making it difficult for the two of them to spend time together. Shinji is not as successful in his business endeavors as Hiroko, however, and this leads to more problems in their relationship.
- Voiced by: Eiji Hanawa
|1||November 22, 2004||ISBN 978-4-06-328999-2|
|2||July 22, 2005||ISBN 978-4-06-372453-0|
|3||October 6, 2006||ISBN 978-4-06-372550-6|
|4||August 23, 2007||ISBN 978-4-06-372626-8|
This list is incomplete, and will be updated as the series airs. Broadcast dates are for Fuji TV.
|#||Title||Original air date|
|01||"The Female Hataraki Man"
"Onna no Hataraki Man" (女の働きマン)
|Hiroko writes a cover article exposing political corruption. But is she prepared for the consequences?|
|02||"Stake Out Man"
"Harikomi Man" (張り込みマン)
|Hiroko goes stakeout with the stakeout man. she discovers that he admire the sky.|
"Rāmen Man" (ラーメンマン)
|Kobu chan gets the new magazine work on ramens.|
"Ayamari Man" (あやまりマン)
|05||"Turn Around Man"
"Furimuki Man" (振り向きマン)
"Kodawari Man" (こだわりマン)
"Mukuware Man" (報われマン)
|09||"Full-Fledged Hataraki Man"
"Ichininmae no Hataraki Man" (一人前の働きマン)
"Hatarakanai Man" (働かないマン)
|11||"Even So, Hataraki Man"
"Soredemo Hataraki Man" (それでも働きマン)
- Manga official website (Japanese)
- Anime official website (Japanese)
- Hataraki Man (manga) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia