|Hatsukoi Jigokuhen (Nanami, The Inferno of First Love)|
Poster to the film, Nanami, The Inferno of First Love
|Directed by||Susumu Hani|
|Produced by||Tomoji Fujii
|Written by||Susumu Hani
|Music by||Tōru Takemitsu
|Editing by||Susumu Hani|
|Release date(s)||May 25, 1968|
|Running time||108 minutes|
Hatsukoi Jigokuhen (初恋・地獄篇) is a 1968 film directed by Susumu Hani and co-scripted by him with Shūji Terayama. It is one of Hani's best known works. In the West, it is known as Nanami, The Inferno of First Love or as Nanami, First Love. The movie focuses on the pain of emerging from adolescence. The film was nominated for the Golden Bear award at the 18th Berlin International Film Festival in 1968. Many film scholars consider this work to be one of Hani's major achievements, while others judge the film to be commercial and exploitive.
- Haruo Asanu - Algebra
- Kazuko Fukuda - Mrs. Otagaki, Shun's stepmother
- Kuniko Ishii - Nanami
- Ichirô Kimura - Psychiatrist
- Kazuo Kimura - Doctor
- Kôji Mitsui - Mr. Otagaki, Shun's stepfather
- Misako Miyato - Mother
- Kimiko Nakamura - Ankokuji's wife
- Akio Takahashi - Shun
- Minoru Yuasa - Ankokuji
- Buehrer, Beverley (1990). "Nanami-- The Inferno of First Love (1968) Hatsukoi jigokuhen". Japanese Films: A Filmography and Commentary, 1921-1989. Jefferson, North Carolina, and London: McFarland. pp. 195–197. ISBN 0-89950-458-2.
- Desser, David (1985). "The Inferno of First Love (Hatsukoi Jigoku-Hen)". In Frank N. Magill. Magill's Survey of Cinema: Foreign Language Films; Volume 3. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Salem Press. pp. 1480–1485. ISBN 0-89356-247-5.
- IMDb entry
- Film Review by Jasper Sharp
- "初恋 地獄篇 (Hatsukoi Jigokuhen)" (in Japanese). Japanese Movie Database. Retrieved 2007-07-18.
- Hatsukoi Jigokuhen (Nanami, The Inferno of First Love) at AllRovi