Hatton Township, Michigan
|Hatton Township, Michigan|
|• Total||36.2 sq mi (93.7 km2)|
|• Land||36.0 sq mi (93.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||1,106 ft (337 m)|
|• Density||25.7/sq mi (9.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||48617 (Clare),
|GNIS feature ID||1626450|
There are no incorporated municipalities in the township.
- Hatton is an unincorporated community in the southwest of the township at . It was a station on the Pere Marquette Railway beginning circa 1881. A post office was established May 18, 1882, with James Landry as the first postmaster. A fire in 1910 destroyed most of the settlement.
- The city of Clare is to the south, and the Clare ZIP code 48617 also serves the southeast part of Hatton Township.
- The village of Farwell is to the southwest, and the Farwell ZIP code 48622 also serves the southwest part of Hatton Township.
- The city of Harrison is to the north, and the Harrison ZIP code 48625 also serves parts of northern and western Hatton Township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.2 square miles (94 km2), of which 36.0 square miles (93 km2) is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2) (0.58%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 923 people, 333 households, and 245 families residing in the township. The population density was 25.7 per square mile (9.9/km²). There were 466 housing units at an average density of 13.0 per square mile (5.0/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.29% White, 0.65% Native American, 0.65% Asian, 0.11% from other races, and 1.30% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.76% of the population.
There were 333 households out of which 36.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.0% were married couples living together, 6.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.4% were non-families. 20.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.77 and the average family size was 3.16.
In the township the population was spread out with 31.2% under the age of 18, 6.6% from 18 to 24, 25.1% from 25 to 44, 25.5% from 45 to 64, and 11.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 101.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.9 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $30,461, and the median income for a family was $33,229. Males had a median income of $36,000 versus $19,583 for females. The per capita income for the township was $15,848. About 10.2% of families and 11.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.3% of those under age 18 and 12.6% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Hatton Township, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Hatton, Michigan
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- 48617 5-Digit ZCTA, 486 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 48622 5-Digit ZCTA, 486 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 48625 5-Digit ZCTA, 486 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census