Haunted highways or roads refer to streets, roads or highways which are the subject of folklore and urban legends, including rumors and reports of ghostly apparitions, ghostly figures, phantom hitchhikers, phantom vehicles, or other paranormal phenomena.
- 1 Legends
- 1.1 Annie's Road, United States
- 1.2 Belchen Tunnel, Switzerland
- 1.3 Boy Scout Lane, United States
- 1.4 Bray road, Elkhorn, Wisconsin
- 1.5 Clinton Road, United States
- 1.6 Devil's Washbowl road, Moretown Vermont
- 1.7 Edmonds Road, Jeremy Swamp Road, Marginal Road, Saw Mill City Road, Velvet Street & Zion Hill Rd, Connecticut
- 1.8 Jamestown Road, Jamestown, North Carolina
- 1.9 Mount Misery Road/Sweet Hollow Road, Huntington, New York
- 1.10 Stockbridge Bypass, United Kingdom
- 1.11 A38 road, England
- 1.12 A75 road, Scotland
- 1.13 A3 motorway, Croatia
- 1.14 E8 Expressway, Malaysia
- 1.15 N9 road, South Africa
- 1.16 National Highway 33 in Jharkhand, India
- 1.17 Partrick road, Napa California
- 2 See also
- 3 References
- 4 External links
Annie's Road, United States
Belchen Tunnel, Switzerland
Boy Scout Lane, United States
Boy Scout Lane, Wisconsin, a dead-end road with no outlet. A number of ghost stories and urban legends have become associated with the road, including the fictional deaths of a troop of Boy Scouts. The area has been the subject of several paranormal investigations, and has been a 'haunt' for local youths. There are no records of fatalities or mysterious disappearances on or around Boy Scout Lane.
Bray road, Elkhorn, Wisconsin
Bray road of Elkhorn is infamously known for being the home of the Beast of Bray Road.
Clinton Road, United States
Clinton Road in West Milford, Passaic County, New Jersey, is the subject of local folklore that includes alleged sightings of ghosts, strange creatures and gatherings of witches, Satanists and the Ku Klux Klan. Supposedly, if you go to one of the bridges at the reservoir and throw a penny into the water, within a minute it will be thrown back out to or at you by the ghost of a boy who drowned while swimming below or had fallen in while sitting on the edge of the bridge. In some tellings an apparition is seen; in others the ghost pushes the teller into the water if he or she looks over the side of the bridge in order to save him.
Devil's Washbowl road, Moretown Vermont
Edmonds Road, Jeremy Swamp Road, Marginal Road, Saw Mill City Road, Velvet Street & Zion Hill Rd, Connecticut
All these Connecticut roads have had sightings of Melon heads, saw mill and velvet are also nicknamed "Dracula drive".
Jamestown Road, Jamestown, North Carolina
Mount Misery Road/Sweet Hollow Road, Huntington, New York
Mount Misery Road and Sweet Hollow Road in Huntington, New York are both subjects of local folklore, including but not limited to tales of Mary's Grave (supposedly located on a cemetery on Sweet Hollow Road), a ghostly police officer with the back of his head missing, and ghosts from a burned down mental asylum.
Stockbridge Bypass, United Kingdom
A616 road, also called Stockbridge Bypass, connects Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire, to the M1 motorway. During its construction, security staff allegedly reported encounters with a ghostly monk believed to have been from the Hunshelf Priory.
A38 road, England
According to legend, phantom hitchhikers have been reported since the 1950s on the A38 road between Wellington and Taunton in Somerset. One tale holds that in 1958 a lorry driver named "Harry (or "Harold" in some tellings) Unsworth" saw a hitchiker he'd given a ride to earlier re-appear miles down the road from where he'd dropped him off.
A75 road, Scotland
A75 road - a major road in Scotland from Annan to Gretna Green has been called Scotland's "most haunted road" by some authors. According to one story, in 1957 a truck driver swerved to avoid a couple walking in the road but when he stopped to investigate the pair had "vanished". Other versions of the stories tell of a couple or group of friends driving down the road at night and are constantly plagued and harassed by shadow figures, from an elderly woman to the back end of a semi truck that they nearly hit before braking only for it to disappear.
A3 motorway, Croatia
The section of A3 motorway in Croatia between Staro Petrovo Selo and Nova Gradiška is believed to be haunted due to high number of accidents and paranormal encounters. It is a section where singer Toše Proeski and actress Dolores Lambaša lost their lives.
E8 Expressway, Malaysia
The E8 Expressway, also known as the Kuala Lumpur – Karak Expressway, is reportedly one of the most haunted highways in Malaysia, (though there has been no direct evidence of such manifestations). Many people driving late at night claim to see strange creatures and Pontianak on this road.
N9 road, South Africa
N9 road (South Africa). The road between Uniondale and Willowmore, in the semi-desert area of the Karoo, is the subject of a story of the "Uniondale Phantom Hitchhiker", a girl named "Marie Charlotte Roux" who allegedly died in road accident on a particular stretch of the N9 on April 12, 1968 (Good Friday).
National Highway 33 in Jharkhand, India
Prayers and safe driving tips fail to save many lives on Ranchi Jamshedpur National Highway 33 in Jharkhand. People religiously stop by a Van Devi Temple in Jamshedpur and those from Ranchi stop by Taimara Ghati Hanuman & Kali Mandir (in Bundu) for safe passage. The religious obeisance, however, has not worked for many and a surprisingly large number of people are killed in road accidents between Bundu to Tamar, 40km stretch of the highway. A total of 245 persons have died here in the since year 2010. The chief priest of Taimara Ghati Hanuman & Kali Mandir, Suresh Singh Binjiya said a lady walks through the valley at night.
Partrick road, Napa California
Partrick road of Napa, California is the hotspot of sightings of mutant winged monkeys known as "Napa Rebobs".
- "Lost in Jersey". Lost in Jersey. Retrieved 2013-01-20.
- "Mysterious Britain". Mysterious Britain. Retrieved 2013-01-20.
- Moran & Sceurman, 204.
- North Carolina Folklore Journal, North Carolina Folklore Society., 1999
- Stocksbridge - Sheffield - Stocksbridge Bypass - the Killer Road stocksbridge.org.uk
- "Ghosts". Ghosts. Retrieved 2013-01-20.
- Mystery Mag[dead link]
- Smith, Claire (29 September 2006). "Moat haunted - Myths & Legends Part 5: Castles". The Scotsman. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Na “ukletim” cestama neobjašnjive nesreće". Glas Slavonije. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Nadgrobni križevi ugrađeni u autocestu, ljudi i stvari na njoj postaju nevidljivi?!". Glas Slavonije. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Ukleta cesta: Na toj dionici poginulo više od 500 ljudi, među njima Lambaša i Proeski". Dnevno News Portal. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Karak Highway". Hungzai.com. Retrieved 2013-01-20.
- Mon, 30/11/2009 - 01:18 (2009-10-10). "Mysterious Britain". Mysterious Britain. Retrieved 2013-01-20.
- Other cases in the UK
- Stockbridge Bypass, Strange But True?
- N9 South Africa Phantom Hitchhiker, Strange But True?
- Ria Roux, the person in the N9, South Africa account