|Directed by||Vincenzo Natali|
|Screenplay by||Matthew Brian King|
|Release date(s)||October 18, 2013|
|Running time||97 minutes|
Haunter is a 2013 Canadian supernatural horror thriller film, directed by Vincenzo Natali, starring Abigail Breslin. It was produced by Copperheart Entertainment and written by Brian King. The film premiered at the 2013 South by Southwest Film Festival, and was picked up for U.S. distribution there by IFC Midnight.
Lisa Johnson (Abigail Breslin) is the ghost of a teenage girl who becomes aware that she is dead. She is stuck on the same day she and her family were murdered in 1985, along with her parents (Peter Outerbridge and Michelle Nolden) and her brother (Peter DaCunha), who are unaware that they are dead. Using personal items from other people killed in the house, Lisa makes a connection with Olivia (Eleanor Zichy), part of a family living in the house in the future who will become the next set of victims.
With the help of Olivia and the spirits of other girls who were murder victims, Lisa is transported into the timelines of other victims and unravels the mystery of the house. She causes her family to come to terms with the knowledge that they are dead, and thus "awakened" they become able to assist her. After her family escapes to the afterlife, Lisa stays behind to stop the murderous evil spirit (Stephen McHattie) haunting the house. With help from the evil spirit's family (the original victims of the house), Lisa overcomes the evil spirit and rescues another family from suffering the same fate. Thus breaking the cycle of possessions and murder-suicides, Lisa awakes, no longer reliving the same day.
- Abigail Breslin as Lisa Johnson
- Peter Outerbridge as Bruce Johnson
- Michelle Nolden as Carol Johnson
- Peter DaCunha as Robert "Robbie" Johnson
- Samantha Weinstein as Frances Nichols
- David Hewlett as David
- Sarah Manninen as Olivia's Mother
- Eleanor Zichy as Olivia
- Martine Campbell as Olivia's Sister
- Stephen McHattie as Edgar Mullins
- David Knoll as Young Edgar
- Marie Dame as Mrs. Mullins
- Tadhg McMahon as Mr. Mullins
- Michelle Coburn as Mary Brooks
Haunter was first released in the U.S. at the South by Southwest Film Festival on March 9, 2013 and received a limited theatrical release on October 18, 2013.
- Olsen, Mark (March 12, 2013). "SXSW 2013: 'Short Term 12' wins feature prize". Los Angeles Times.
|This article about a 2010s horror film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|