||This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
Mena, Ukraine, USSR
|Occupation||Writer, actress, director|
|Notable work(s)||Vospominaniia (memoirs)|
Hava Vladimirovna Volovich (Russian: Хава Владимировна Волович;1916–2000), was a Russian writer, actress, director and a Gulag survivor. Hava Volovich is known for her Memoirs, that are extremely valuable both historically and literary. Her notes from the prison-camp are being compared to Shalamov's stories and The Diary of a Young Girl by Anna Frank. Volovich narrates, with heartbreaking honesty, the story of her child born in the camp.
Hava Vladimirovna (Vilkovna) Volovich was born into a Jewish family in the small Ukraine town Mena in 1916. In 1934 she finished a seven year school and worked as typesetter followed by a job as sub-editor with a local newspaper. She was arrested on August 14, 1937 on the charge of Anti-Soviet agitation and sentenced to fifteen years "ITL"  She served her time in "Sevjerdorlag" (lumbering) at the "Mariinskii" (farm work), in "Ozerlag" and in "Djezkazgan". In 1942, she had a daughter, who died in a camp in 1944. For many years she participated in the camp amateur productions, acting in the camp theater and organizing a marionette theater. She was released on April 20, 1953. After the camp, she lived in exile until 1956. In 1957, she returned to her hometown. Starting in 1958, she directed the local club puppet theater. She was exonerated on December 28, 1963. She died in Mena on February 14, 2000.
See also 
- White Sea-Baltic Canal
- History of the Soviet Union
- Article 58 (RSFSR Penal Code)
- Enemy of the people
- Gulag Voices: Hava Volovich.
- "ITL" stands for Ispravitelno-Trudovoi Lager which means Correctional Labor Camp
- (Russian) Журнал «Горизонт», № 2, 1989 г..
- (Russian)Доднесь тяготеет. [Сб. воспоминаний]. Вып. 1. Записки вашей современницы / Сост. С. С. Виленский. — М.: Сов. пис., 1989. — С. 461—494.
- (Russian)Озерлаг: как это было / сост. Л. С. Мухин. — Иркутск : Вост.-Сиб. кн. изд-во, 1992. — С. 55-87.
- (Russian)Театр Гулага. Воспоминания. Очерки / Сост. М. М. Кораллов. — М.: Звенья, 1995. — С. 143—155 Театр ГУЛАГа.
- (Russian)Отечественные записки. 2006. № 2/27 (на сайте ОЗ текст убран, но сохранился в кэше Яндекса).
- Till my Tale is Told.[women's memoirs of GULAG] by Indiana University Press, 1999.Till my Tale is Told(English)
- Gulag Voices. edited by Anne Applebaum, Yale University Press, 2011.Gulag Voices(English)
- (Russian) Hava Volovich official site
- (Russian) Hava Volovich on Lib.ru
- (English) Sixteen Months in the Life of Hava Volovich