Type of site
|online news magazine|
|Owner||Malia Zimmerman and Jay McWilliams|
|Created by||Malia Zimmerman and Jay McWilliams|
|131,551 (April 2014[update])|
HawaiiReporter.com is a pro-free market Hawaii-based online news and opinion journal. HawaiiReporter.com was founded in November 2002 by Malia Zimmerman and Jay McWilliams, both who have served as reporters and editors for many publications in Hawaii. Focusing on government, politics, business, and education, HawaiiReporter.com also collects and researches 20 kinds of public records and has contributed to a number of books published in the United States and Japan on these issues.
Hawaii Reporter has been featured in numerous media outlets around the world including: ABC 20/20, American Journalism Review, Associated Press in Tokyo, Associated Press U.S., Boston.com, Budget and Tax News, BusinessWeek.com, Clear Channel’s number one and two radio talk shows in Denver, Drudge Report, First Amendment Center, Forbes.com, Fox News Network, Freedom Forum, Gun Talk Radio, GunWeek Magazine, Hawaii Bulletin Board – K108 Sunday Mornings, Hawaii Business Magazine, Hawaii Parent magazine, Hawaii Public Radio, The Honolulu Advertiser, Honolulu Magazine, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, HonoluluTraffic.com, Honolulu Weekly, Houston Chronicle, KCCN Radio, KGMB TV 9, KHNL News, KHON TV News 2, KITV News 4, KSSK with Perry & Price, Liberty Magazine, Midweek, MSNBC.com, National Review, News Behind the News, NRA Magazine, NRA Radio, Opinion Journal, Olelo Television, Orange County Register, Pacific Business News, PBS Hawaii, Rick Hamada Morning Show, Rush Limbaugh (web site), Samoa News, School Reform News, Small Business News, United Press International, Wall Street Journal, Washington Times foreign bureau, Watchdog.org, Women and Guns Magazine and WPAL Radio in Baltimore, Maryland.
In 2009, Hawaii Reporter became an affiliate of Watchdog.org, a project of the Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity.
Awards and Accomplishments
- September 2006 and 2008, the Second Amendment Foundation presented Hawaii Reporter with National Awards, specifically Journalist of the Year, in Phoenix, Arizona
- Hawaii Reporter awards from the Society of Professional Journalists in 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008, including awards for best investigative reporting and best business reporting
- In January 2005, Hawaii Reporter won best business publication for 2004
- In 2000, Hawaii Reporter’s Malia Zimmerman was awarded an outstanding media recognition award for “best investigative reporting” from Voter Integrity Project, Inc., in Washington, D.C.
Quotes about Hawaii Reporter
Wall Street Journal columnist John Fund says, “Malia Zimmerman and her crack staff of contributors have proved you can cover City Hall, and the state Capitol and the business community with fearless and fair reporting. Hawaii Reporter is on the rise and it’s no surprise that Old Media outlets are now struggling to compete with it.”
John Rutledge of Rutledge Capital, who is also an author and star of Fox News says, “The Hawaii Reporter is Hawaii’s leading investigative newspaper reporting on business, community, and government affairs. Headed by the fearless Malia Zimmerman, the Hawaii Reporter takes on tough issues, like government corruption, overzealous regulation, and substandard public education, that Hawaii’s needs to address to grow and prosper.”
KSSK Radio’s morning commentator Michael W. Perry says, “For the same reason that we rely on Internet sources to counter sloppiness and bias in the national media, we need Hawaii Reporter to give the seldom-heard ‘other side of the story’ in our local Media. Malia and the gang are must-reads for me everyday.” Michael W. Perry, KSSK Radio.
Orson Swindle, former Federal Trade Commissioner, says “Hawaii Reporter is a valuable source of information for me to keep in touch with reality in Hawaii. My compliments to Malia Zimmerman for her persistent, courageous and quality efforts at keeping the truth highly visible in Hawaii.”
- HawaiiReporter.com website
- Hawaii Real Estate Investors, "August Monthly Meeting", July 2004 - Hawaii Reporter background by co-founder Jay McWilliams.
- "Small Business Awards Presented", Small Business Hawaii, February 4, 2005.
- "Hawaiireporter.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "the publication features many local and national columnists and contributors, the vast majority who are free market oriented, and who offer opinions and news not found elsewhere in Hawaii.""Hawaiireporter.com About Us page".
- "Hawaii Reporter History". Hawaii Reporter.
- Hawaii Reporter Celebrates 10th Anniversary
- Watchdog.org Website
- Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity Website