Hawaiian Islands Invitational
|Region||CONCACAF and AFC|
|Number of teams||4|
|Current champions||Busan IPark (1st Title)|
|Most successful club(s)|| Busan IPark (1)
Suwon Samsung Bluewings (1)
Gamba Osaka (1)
|2012 Hawaiian Islands Invitational|
The Hawaiian Islands Invitational was an inter-confederation association football tournament that was founded in 2007, as the Pan-Pacific Championship. The tournament consisted of four teams, who contested a knock-out style competition that spanned three days.
When the Pan-Pacific Championship folded, due to turf issues at the Aloha Stadium, Honolulu, moves were put in place to attempt to reconstruct an inter-confederation, end of season tournament that would see some of the best teams from North American, Asia, and Australia go head to head. In March 2011, it was announced that the Hawaiian Islands Invitational would be set up, by ESPN Regional Television, Inc. in co-operation with the Hawai’i Tourism Authority and Major League Soccer.
The 2008 tournament was held in Aloha Stadium, Four teams were due to participate.
- 2007 MLS Cup Champion: Houston Dynamo
- 2007 J. League Cup Champion: Gamba Osaka
- 2007 North American SuperLiga: Pachuca
- 2007 A-League Grand Final Champion: Melbourne Victory
However, the A-League was not represented by the champion team but instead by the loser of the minor semi-final, Sydney FC. This is due to a scheduling conflict with the Grand Final on February 24, which was moved back so as not to interfere with Australia's 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification (AFC) campaign. North American SuperLiga Champions Pachuca declined to enter the tournament and were replaced with runners up Los Angeles Galaxy.
The 2009 tournament was held in Home Depot Center, Four teams participated.
- Host Team: Los Angeles Galaxy
- 2008 J. League Cup Champion: Oita Trinita
- 2008 K League Champion: Suwon Bluewings
- 2008 Chinese Super League Champion: Shandong Luneng Taishan
|Winner||Score||Runner-up||3rd place||Score||4th place|
|2008||Honolulu, Hawaii||Gamba Osaka||6–1||Houston Dynamo||Los Angeles Galaxy||2–1||Sydney FC|
|2009||Carson, California||Suwon Bluewings||1–1
|Los Angeles Galaxy||Oita Trinita||2–1||Shandong Luneng|
|2012||Honolulu, Hawaii||Busan IPark||3–0||Yokohama FC||Colorado Rapids||1–0||Melbourne Heart|
- "Hawaiian Islands Invitational: New ESPN Soccer Event In 2012". PaddockTalk. 15 March 2011. Retrieved 7 July 2011.
- Margolis, Rachel (15 March 2011). "Hawaiian Islands Invitational: New ESPN Soccer Event in 2012". ESPN. Retrieved 7 July 2011.
- "COLORADO RAPIDS TO PARTICIPATE IN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS INVITATIONAL IN FEBRUARY". Gateway News. 15 March 2011. Retrieved 7 July 2011.
- "Rapids to participate in 2012 Hawaiian Islands Invitational". Major League Soccer. 6 July 2011. Retrieved 7 July 2011.