|Directed by||Gary Rydstrom|
|Produced by||Galyn Susman|
|Screenplay by||Erik Benson
|Story by||Erik Benson
|Music by||Mark Mothersbaugh|
|Edited by||Axel Geddes|
|Distributed by||Walt Disney Studios
Toy Story Toons: Hawaiian Vacation is a 2011 Pixar computer animated short film directed by Gary Rydstrom. It is the first short in the Toy Story Toons series. The short features characters from the Toy Story films and takes place after the events of Toy Story 3. It was first screened in theaters ahead of Pixar's feature film Cars 2, and was included on the film's media release.
Months after Toy Story 3, it is winter break for Bonnie, who is going on vacation to Hawaii with her family. The toys are excited to have a week of relaxation, but Barbie and Ken reveal themselves to have stowed away in Bonnie's backpack, hoping to join her in Hawaii. Bonnie leaves them in her room, however, much to Ken's horror and disappointment when he realizes they are not going to Hawaii. Barbie reveals to Woody that Ken planned to have their first kiss on a beach at sunset (based on a travel brochure), inspiring Woody, Buzz, and the rest of Bonnie's toys to go all out and recreate Hawaii for the two. After various adventures in "Hawaii", Ken and Barbie share their first kiss in the snow at sunrise, recreating the scene from the brochure. However, the two step off the edge of the porch without realizing it and end up buried in snow; a post-credits scene shows the other toys trying to free them from a block of ice in which they are now frozen.
- Jodi Benson as Barbie
- Michael Keaton as Ken
- Tom Hanks as Woody
- Tim Allen as Buzz Lightyear
- Joan Cusack as Jessie
- Don Rickles as Mr. Potato Head
- Estelle Harris as Mrs. Potato Head
- Wallace Shawn as Rex
- John Ratzenberger as Hamm
- Blake Clark as Slinky Dog
- Jeff Pidgeon as Aliens
- Emily Hahn as Bonnie
- Lori Alan as Bonnie's Mom
- Timothy Dalton as Mr. Pricklepants
- Jeff Garlin as Buttercup
- Kristen Schaal as Trixie
- Bonnie Hunt as Dolly
- Bud Luckey as Chuckles
- Zoe Levin as Peas-in-a-Pod
- Javier Fernández-Peña as Spanish Buzz
- Angus MacLane as Captain Zip
- Axel Geddes as Rexing Ball
The film was first announced by Lee Unkrich who said, "We have announced we're going to do a short film in front of Cars 2 that uses the Toy Story characters. We're going to keep them alive; they're not going away forever." The short film's title and plot were later revealed on February 17, 2011.
Charlie McCollum of Mercury News called it a "delightful snippit of life" that is "crisp, funny and sweet". He wrote that "in terms of storytelling and wit, it pretty much eclipses Cars 2," the feature film it preceded.
As of July 2012, Hawaiian Vacation is available as a digital download on Amazon Instant Video and iTunes Store. The short was released on November 13, 2012, on the DVD and Blu-ray Disc of Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 2. The short film will be released on Blu-ray and DVD on August 19, 2014, with Toy Story of Terror! and two other Toy Story Toons.
- Rocchi, James. "Closing Up the Toy Box?". MSN Movies. Archived from the original on July 1, 2010. Retrieved June 15, 2011.
- Breznican, Anthony (June 15, 2011). "'Toy Story: Hawaiian Vacation' clip reveals return of the toybox gang – EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- "The 'Toy Story' Gang to Ride Again". The New York Times. February 17, 2011. Retrieved June 15, 2011.
- Weiner, David (August 18, 2011). "ET Exclusive: 'Air Mater' Takes Flight". ET Online. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- Sciretta, Peter (June 18, 2010). "Another Toy Story Film in June 2011?". /Film. Archived from the original on July 1, 2010. Retrieved July 1, 2010.
- McCollum, Charlie (June 23, 2011). "Review: 'Toy Story: Hawaiian Vacation'". Mercury News. Retrieved July 4, 2011.
- "Hawaiian Vacation (Short)". Amazon. Retrieved July 18, 2012.
- "Hawaiian Vacation". iTunes. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "Pixar Shorts, Volume Two (Blu-ray + DVD) (Widescreen)". Walmart. Retrieved September 1, 2012.
- "Toy Story of Terror! Blu-ray". Blu-ray.com. May 16, 2014. Retrieved June 26, 2014.
- Official website
- Hawaiian Vacation at the Internet Movie Database
- Hawaiian Vacation at the Big Cartoon DataBase
Day & Night
|Pixar Animation Studios short films