|— City —|
|Motto: "Move Forward In Hawarden Iowa"|
|• Total||3.02 sq mi (7.82 km2)|
|• Land||2.89 sq mi (7.49 km2)|
|• Water||0.13 sq mi (0.34 km2)|
|Elevation||1,181 ft (360 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||2,546|
|• Density||881.0/sq mi (340.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||51011, 51023|
|GNIS feature ID||0457324|
|Website||City of Hawarden, Iowa|
Hawarden is located very near to the center of the North American continent, far removed from any major bodies of water. This lends the area a humid continental climate, with hot, humid summers, cold snowy winters, and wide temperature extremes. Summers can bring daytime temperatures that climb into the 90s Fahrenheit, and winter lows can be well below zero.
|Monthly normal and record high and low temperatures|
|Rec High °F||71||71||91||97||102||108||108||104||103||94||81||70|
|Norm High °F||28.7||35||47.3||61.7||73.2||82.5||86.2||83.7||76||63.7||44.8||31.7|
|Norm Low °F||8.5||15.3||25.7||37.3||49.2||58.5||62.9||60.6||50.1||38||24.8||12.8|
|Rec Low °F||-26||-26||-22||-2||25||38||42||37||24||12||-9||-24|
|Source: USTravelWeather.com |
|Source:"American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. and Iowa Data Center|
2010 census 
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,546 people, 1,020 households, and 667 families residing in the city. The population density was 881.0 inhabitants per square mile (340.2 /km2). There were 1,152 housing units at an average density of 398.6 per square mile (153.9 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 86.8% White, 0.5% African American, 0.9% Native American, 0.3% Asian, 10.6% from other races, and 0.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 20.0% of the population.
There were 1,020 households of which 29.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.1% were married couples living together, 7.6% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 34.6% were non-families. 31.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 3.06.
The median age in the city was 39 years. 25.4% of residents were under the age of 18; 8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 22.9% were from 25 to 44; 23.6% were from 45 to 64; and 20.2% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.2% male and 50.8% female.
2000 census 
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,478 people, 1,032 households, and 664 families residing in the city. The population density was 860.6 people per square mile (332.2/km²). There were 1,098 housing units at an average density of 381.3 per square mile (147.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 93.83% White, 0.32% African American, 0.56% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 3.67% from other races, and 1.33% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.38% of the population.
There were 1,032 households out of which 28.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.1% were married couples living together, 7.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.6% were non-families. 31.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the city the population was spread out with 24.5% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 24.1% from 25 to 44, 22.5% from 45 to 64, and 21.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 89.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $34,360, and the median income for a family was $44,938. Males had a median income of $30,466 versus $19,669 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,459. About 4.2% of families and 6.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.1% of those under age 18 and 6.2% of those age 65 or over.
American Identity, which makes baseball caps, employs 150 workers in Hawarden. The currently closed Iowa Lamb Processing was the state's only sheep slaughterhouse. It employed about 100 workers. Other local factories include Coilcraft and Timber Roots.
Arts and culture 
Annual events 
The city hosts "Big Sioux River Days" over Labor Day Weekend.
Notable people 
- Hope Emerson, American actress
- Stanley L. Greigg, member of the U.S. House of Representatives
- Brian Hansen, former American football punter in the National Football League
- Lisa Suhair Majaj, Palestinian American poet and scholar
- Albert J. Meyer, economist
- Ruth Suckow, American author
- Anna Johnson Pell Wheeler, American mathematician
See also 
Hawarden was formerly the home of a junior college, Sioux Empire College, which closed in the 1980s.
Hawarden annexed the incorporated town of Calliope, Iowa in 1893.
- "City of Hawarden, Iowa". City of Hawarden, Iowa. Retrieved August , 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "Hawarden, Iowa". Hawarden, Iowa. Retrieved August 30, 2012.
- "Profile for Hawarden, Iowa, IA". ePodunk. Retrieved August , 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- DeLorme (1998). Iowa Atlas & Gazetteer. Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme. ISBN 0-89933-214-5
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Hope Emerson". Solyent Commnications. Retrieved August 30, 2012.
- "A Hawarden hero". Sioux City Journal.com. Retrieved August 30, 2012.
- Kadi, Joanna (1994). Food for Our Grandmothers: Writings by Arab-American and Arab-Canadian Feminists. Boston, MA: South End Press. p. 68. ISBN 0-89608-489-2.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Hawarden, Iowa|
- City website Portal style website, Government, Business, Library, and more
- City-Data Comprehensive Statistical Data and more about Hawarden