City Hall and water tower
Location in Alachua County and the state of Florida
|• City manager||Ellen Vause|
|• Mayor||Mattew Surrency|
|• Vice-Mayor||Tommie Howard|
|• Total||5.0 sq mi (13.0 km2)|
|• Land||4.8 sq mi (12.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.6 km2)|
|Elevation||148 ft (45 m)|
|• Density||296/sq mi (114.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0283829|
Hawthorne is located at (29.587943, -82.083859).
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,417 people, 561 households, and 357 families residing in the city. The population density was 295.2 inhabitants per square mile (114.2/km²). There were 681 housing units at an average density of 141.9 per square mile (54.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 52.4% White, 45.3% African American, 0.1% Native American, 0.3% Asian, 0.5% from other races, and 1.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.0% of the population.
There were 561 households out of which 31.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 38.3% were married couples living together, 21.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.4% were non-families. 31.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.534 and the average family size was 3.15.
In the city the population was spread out with 23.2% under the age of 18, 2.4% from 18 to 21, 52.9% from 21 to 62, and 20.1% who were 62 years of age or older. The median age was 41.5 years. For every 100 females there were 86.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.6 males.
According to the 2005-2009 American Community Survey, the median income for a household in the city was $36,818, and the median income for a family was $44,1672. The per capita income for the city was $15,331. About 11.9% of families and 18.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.1% of those under age 18 and 30.4% of those age 65 or over.
The City of Hawthorne is served by the School Board of Alachua County, which operates Shell Elementary School and Hawthorne Middle/High School in the city. The Alachua County Library District operates a branch library in the city.
- Bo Diddley, rock & roll legend
- James B. Edwards, Governor of South Carolina
- Cornelius Ingram, National Football League player
- D. R. "Billy" Matthews, congressman from North Florida 1953-1965
- Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, author
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Hawthorne city, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved May 6, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American Factfinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- "American Community Survey". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- Alachua County Public Schools: Schools and Centers
- Alachua County Library District: Hawthorne
- City of Hawthorne official website
- Hawthorne Branch Library
- Former official website
- Student project from 1997