Haydon Wick shown within Wiltshire
|Population||in excess of 15,000|
|OS grid reference|
|Civil parish||Haydon Wick Parish Council|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
|UK Parliament||North Swindon|
The Parish of Haydon Wick lies to the north of Swindon in Wiltshire, UK and has an estimated population in excess of 16,000, more than 15,500 of which are registered electors.
The parish council is Haydon Wick Parish Council and the parish is split into three Parish Council Electoral Wards, Haydon End (4 councillors), Haydon Wick (13 councillors) and Ray Ward (1 councillor). The Parish Council is concerned with the overall economic, cultural and physical well being of the residents of Haydon Wick and is a statutory body forming the first tier of local government in England.
The Early years
Prior to 1928 Haydon Wick was part of the Parish of Rodbourne Cheney.
Gas was installed in 1930, electricity arrived in 1939 and sewers came after 1928.
Originally a small village, during the latter part of the twentieth century and continuing today, house building has extended the numbers of properties and areas within the parish considerably. Local areas within the parish now include Haydon Wick, Haydonleigh, Greenmeadow, Abbey Meads, Haydon End, Redhouse, Taw Hill and Oakhurst. Some of these areas fall within the Priory Vale northern development.
The Swindon and Cricklade Railway has rebuilt Blunsdon railway station and Hayes Knoll railway station, although these are located just outside the parish boundary the railway society is currently building a new station at Moulden Hill which lies within the parish.
The River Ray flows through the parish; it offers pleasant walks and is home to many species of fish and wildlife.
Known locally as Clifford Meadow, Haydon Meadow is a Site of Special Scientific Interest within the Parish where Anacamptis morio, a rare protected species of Orchid family Orchidaceae may be seen. This flower was adopted as the logo for the Priory Vale development, elements of which lie within the parish.
Mouldon Hill Country Park lies within the parish; the park has a number of paths and walkway together with a delightful hidden lake, and within it a new steam railway station is being created by the Swindon and Cricklade Railway.
- HB (3 August 2011). "Christ the Servant Church : Abbey Meads : Swindon". Christtheservant.org.uk. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "St John the Evangelist". Stjohnshaydonwick.org.uk. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Emmanual URC". Emmanuelchurchuk.co.uk. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Catherine Wayte Primary School". Catherinewayte.swindon.sch.uk. 15 September 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Greenmeadow Primary School". Greenmeadow-pri.swindon.sch.uk. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Haydonleigh Primary School". Haydonleighschool.co.uk. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Haydon Wick Primary School". Haydonwick.swindon.sch.uk. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Orchid Vale Primary School". Swindon.schooljotter.com. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Nova Hreod College". Hreod.co.uk. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "St Francis CofE VA Primary School". Stfrancis.swindon.sch.uk. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- Haydon Wick Parish Council Website – Overview
- Haydon Wick Parish Council Website
- Haydon Wick Parish Council Website – Parish Boundary Map
- Haydon Wick Parish Council Website – Old Parish Map Showing Ancient Field names
- List of civil parishes in Wiltshire
- The Swindon & Cricklade Railway
- Thamesdown Transport