Hays Regional Airport
|Hays Regional Airport|
|IATA: HYS – ICAO: KHYS – FAA LID: HYS|
|Owner||City of Hays|
|Elevation AMSL||1,999 ft / 609 m|
Hays Regional Airport (IATA: HYS, ICAO: KHYS, FAA LID: HYS) is a city-owned public-use airport located three nautical miles (6 km) southeast of the central business district of Hays, a city in Ellis County, Kansas, United States. It is mostly used for general aviation, but it is also served by one commercial airline (United Express).
As per the Federal Aviation Administration, this airport had 8,540 passenger boardings (enplanements) in calendar year 2008, 7,518 in 2009, and 9,026 in 2010. The National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015 categorized it as a non-primary commercial service airport (between 2,500 and 10,000 enplanements per year).
Facilities and aircraft
Hays Regional Airport covers an area of 545 acres (221 ha) at an elevation of 1,999 feet (609 m) above mean sea level. It has two runways: 16/34 is 6,501 by 100 feet (1,982 x 30 m) with a concrete surface that was completely rebuilt in 2013. 4/22 is 4,501 by 75 feet (1,372 x 23 m) with a concrete surface. Runway 4/22 was constructed in 2002.
For the 12-month period ending October 31, 2013, the airport had 31,390 aircraft operations, an average of 86 per day: 73% general aviation, 27% air taxi, and <1% military. At that time 55 aircraft were based at this airport: 42 single-engine, 5 multi-engine, 8 ultralight.
Airline and destination
The following airline offers scheduled passenger service:
|Carrier||Passengers (arriving and departing)|
|1||Denver, CO||Denver International (DEN)||8,710||9,320|
|2||Great Bend, KS||Great Bend Municipal (GBD)||10||10|
- FAA Airport Master Record for HYS ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective April 5, 2012.
- "Enplanements for CY 2008" (PDF, 1.0 MB). CY 2008 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. December 18, 2009.
- "Enplanements for CY 2010" (PDF, 189 KB). CY 2010 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2011.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010.
- "Hays, KS: Hays Regional (HYS)". Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS), Research and Innovative Technology Administration (RITA), U.S. Department of Transportation. December 2013. Retrieved June 22, 2014.
- Essential Air Service documents (Docket DOT-OST-1998-3497) from the U.S. Department of Transportation:
- Order 2009-9-5 (September 11, 2009): re-selecting Great Lakes Aviation, Ltd., to provide essential air service (EAS) at Dodge City, Garden City, Great Bend, Hays, and Liberal for the two-year period from October 1, 2009, through September 30, 2011, at combined annual subsidy rates of $8,897,565. Hays, Kansas: Docket OST-1998-3497; Scheduled Service: 24 nonstop round trips per week to Denver; Aircraft: Beech 1900, 19 seats.
- Order 2011-10-24 (October 31, 2011): re-selecting Great Lakes Aviation, Ltd., to provide essential air service (EAS) at Great Bend and Hays combined for $3,246,061 annual subsidy. Effective Period: Two year period beginning when American Eagle begins full EAS (at Garden City) through the 24th month thereafter. Hays: 24 nonstop round trips per week to Denver with Beech 1900 aircraft.
- Order 2014-3-9 (March 14, 2014): selecting SkyWest Airlines, Inc. to provide essential air service (EAS) at Hays, and sets bridge rates for Great Lakes at Great Bend and Hays until the start of replacement service.
- Great Lakes Aviation, Ltd.: Docket 1998-3497; Effective Period: May 1, 2014 through July 31, 2014; Service: Eighteen (18) nonstop round trips per week to Denver (DEN); Aircraft Type: Beech 1900, Annual Subsidy: $1,699,520.
- SkyWest Airlines, Inc.: Docket 1998-3497; Effective Period: July 1, 2014, through July 31, 2016; Service: Twelve (12) nonstop round trips per week to Denver (DEN); Aircraft Type: 50-seat regional jet; Annual Subsidy: $2,253,132.
- Hays Regional Airport
- PDF from Kansas DOT Airport Directory
- Aerial image as of March 2002 from USGS The National Map
- (PDF), effective December 11, 2014
- FAA Terminal Procedures for Hays Regional Airport, effective December 11, 2014
- Resources for this airport: